Questions about the roost bar!

The light didn’t seem to work they got CLOSER and one even kept going in and out but they all decided to roost inside the run instead.View attachment 3501967
Maybe too much light in coop.....and not dark enough outside.
I used a small battery operated puck light to lure young birds into the coop.

The light didn’t seem to work they got CLOSER and one even kept going in and out but they all decided to roost inside the run instead.
My first comment on this was to make sure it was getting dark enough to tell them to go to bed, that has been a problem with other people on here so I went for an easy solution. I don't know where you are so I don't have a clue when it gets dark where you are. It obviously did not work.

When I move mine and they want to sleep in the run instead of go into the coop I have to train them to go in the coop, much like you are doing. Every night after it gets dark I lock them into the coop. This is usually with a brood of about 20 chicks and often at around 6 to 7 weeks old. Sometimes it only takes a few times, a couple of times it has taken 3 weeks before the last few caught on. Each brood is different but as long as I am consistent they eventually catch on.

A story to show why chicken TV is better than anything on cable, antenna, or satellite. One time I kept the chicks (17 in that brood) in the coop section for a week or so before I let them in the associated run. The first night they all gathered under the pop door to sleep in the run on the ground so I physically moved them and locked them in the coop. It was dark enough that they were pretty easy to catch. The next night I was working outside as it got dark and happened to go to the coop/run area at the right time. Every one of them had gathered under the pop door again and were just settling in when I walked up. They stirred a bit and then one by one started going into the coop. All 17 went in as I just stood in the area. Every night after that they all went in on their own whether I was around or not. The easiest coop training I ever had. Of course I tried that with the following broods, it never worked again.

You can play with the lights all you want, sometimes it has helped other people. But I strongly suggest you continue to consistently put them in the coop each night after dark to teach them where they should be sleeping.

Another thought looking at your photo. At least one seems to be settling down to sleep roosting up high in the run, not sure where they all settle. That perch in the run is higher than the roost in the coop. They may be wanting to sleep in the highest spot available. If that is the case, I think you can overcome that by consistently putting them in the coop each night but it might take longer.

My first comment on this was to make sure it was getting dark enough to tell them to go to bed, that has been a problem with other people on here so I went for an easy solution. I don't know where you are so I don't have a clue when it gets dark where you are. It obviously did not work.

When I move mine and they want to sleep in the run instead of go into the coop I have to train them to go in the coop, much like you are doing. Every night after it gets dark I lock them into the coop. This is usually with a brood of about 20 chicks and often at around 6 to 7 weeks old. Sometimes it only takes a few times, a couple of times it has taken 3 weeks before the last few caught on. Each brood is different but as long as I am consistent they eventually catch on.

A story to show why chicken TV is better than anything on cable, antenna, or satellite. One time I kept the chicks (17 in that brood) in the coop section for a week or so before I let them in the associated run. The first night they all gathered under the pop door to sleep in the run on the ground so I physically moved them and locked them in the coop. It was dark enough that they were pretty easy to catch. The next night I was working outside as it got dark and happened to go to the coop/run area at the right time. Every one of them had gathered under the pop door again and were just settling in when I walked up. They stirred a bit and then one by one started going into the coop. All 17 went in as I just stood in the area. Every night after that they all went in on their own whether I was around or not. The easiest coop training I ever had. Of course I tried that with the following broods, it never worked again.

You can play with the lights all you want, sometimes it has helped other people. But I strongly suggest you continue to consistently put them in the coop each night after dark to teach them where they should be sleeping.

Another thought looking at your photo. At least one seems to be settling down to sleep roosting up high in the run, not sure where they all settle. That perch in the run is higher than the roost in the coop. They may be wanting to sleep in the highest spot available. If that is the case, I think you can overcome that by consistently putting them in the coop each night but it might take longer.
I live on east coast ct to be exact so darkness is coming around 730 and pitch by almost 8. Especially with where the coop is located it gets darker in that part of the yard quicker. The issue with the run is it’s made of all pallets so they can quite literally roost EVERYWHERE LOL. I’ve been trying to seal up certain spots they seem more attracted to. But even at the end the roost in the coop sits higher than anything else they can get to at this point. Just a bit stressful putting them in every night and then having my wife fight them to stay in while I catch the rest lol.

hat perch in the run is higher than the roost in the coop. They may be wanting to sleep in the highest spot available.
:goodpost: I really do think it's this. That higher point in the run looks cozy, they can lay on it, up nice and high. Sorry to recommend construction but I'd make it go away. They're so young, I'm confident you'll get this straightened out soon enough and then smooth sailing at lock up time.

Can you fix the door so you can lock it? It looks like you can. I just toss mine in and let them figure out where to sleep, even in the dark. They manage.
Like the door to the run? It’s got a fence latch on it and I could throw a lock through on end if that’s what you are saying?

:goodpost: I really do think it's this. That higher point in the run looks cozy, they can lay on it, up nice and high. Sorry to recommend construction but I'd make it go away. They're so young, I'm confident you'll get this straightened out soon enough and then smooth sailing at lock up time.
I’ll have to leave them locked in the coop for a day and maybe figure out the construction, maybe cut a few boards inside off so it’s not as high. Either that or go back to locking them in the coop a few days more, especially now that I fixed that front ledge and they spent the night on the bar instead of the ledge in front of the window. Maybe that could help?

Just a bit stressful putting them in every night and then having my wife fight them to stay in while I catch the rest lol.
The door between the coop and the run. If the door to the coop and run is closed you don't need someone to watch it since they can't come out. That way no one has to fight them.

I’ll have to leave them locked in the coop for a day and maybe figure out the construction, maybe cut a few boards inside off so it’s not as high. Either that or go back to locking them in the coop a few days more, especially now that I fixed that front ledge and they spent the night on the bar instead of the ledge in front of the window. Maybe that could help?
Oh that's awesome (they chose the roost bar,) that's a victory. See, you just keep making tweeks here and there and eventually it's perfect. :thumbsup

The door between the coop and the run. If the door to the coop and run is closed you don't need someone to watch it since they can't come out. That way no one has to fight them.
Oh it does but what I’m saying is when we pick them up and get put into the coop they try to come back out like hey we found spots already out in the run. So my wife has to block the door with her hand so we can get them each caught and put in. That door takes its sweet time opening and closing also and I find it easier to not have to try to hold a chicken and wait for the door to open.

Back
Top Bottom