Questions and a little encouragement along the way

Well it's finally warmed up somewhat so I was able to add a window that can open to provide some extra ventilation at the high end of the single sloping roof:

And, although I don't know exactly how high the nests are going to sit, I've added framing for an egg door. The hole has yet to be cut but I'm hoping to be able to change out the water/food through this door as well. Is that a wise idea?

U may want to flip how the vent opens. So it can be open during the rain, when the leaves fall and so other birds do not try to nest in the opening.
opening from the bottom instead the top shields it from the weather but still allows plenty of ventilation. U may consider a grate opening on the opposite wall and low to the ground providing cross ventilation. Flows int he low and out the higher one.

Fortunately the overhang should cover the vent, plus it will sit under the overhang of the roof. But it's an easy switch I can add to my todo list.

Unfortunately I really don't want to put the egg box outside for two very good reasons. The coop needs to resemble a shed, plus it gets cold (-30s) so eggs outside may freeze.

These are both good points, but I was most worried about the ramp and roost height, given that's not what was first noticed, must be ok?

/Scott

The coop is finally in place. The roof had to come off to fit through the door to the backyard ;)

Oh, and FYI even though its likely well over 100lbs, moving it wasn't a problem using two round dowels and my 5 year old, if it was good enough for the pyramids, it is good enough for me.

You can also see the pale blue interior colour I chose.

The run will use an existing trellace that I built last year to hang cherry tomatoes. I've already framed in and built a door in the rear. All that is left is to tile the roof, add fencing to the run and then find some chooks!

tks, my wife has affectionately named it the "Crack Shack"; which is very suitable given that we're in the 'gray' legal area and it needs to look very shed like. Think I've met those requirements well enough.

definately looks shed-esq...or possibly something to hide pool machinery if you have one...
roll.png

What kind of chickens do you have?

I am on the list to get 6 unsexed amaeraucana chicks; but that's not until mid april. And chances are i'll get 4 roos. So with this line of thinking I will probably just pick up three 1.5 year old layers (they are sex-links or something like that) and 'subtract into soup' however many hens I get.

The coop is about 5.5ft x 3ft so 3-4 hens should fit fine. Run is only 5x6 though.

/scott

Yeah, at 1.5 years they will be past their prime; maybe it is just impatience on my part (2 months to get chicks, 3 or more to see the first egg from them). I don't expect them to be 'Ladies who lunch' though.

In the long term the chicks will hopefully be handraised and as approachable as possible for the kids. As the current Coop of the week says, we're raising kids, not birds ;)

Back
Top Bottom