Questions... and a mean rooster...

I think what cetrarchid was saying is, his approach to dealing with roosters will be nasty to do in the mud? That's how it looks to me. If you are interested in keeping your nasty rooster, follow centrarchid's advice. I believe he's very knowledgeable in this area. Personally, I don't wish to deal with a mean rooster and would not keep him in my flock. (Meaning we'd eat him, not dump him off on someone else) You are the only one who can decide how much you want to put up with where your rooster is concerned. I prefer not to have to constantly watch my back, front, or any other part of me when I got out to care for my birds.

I'm not confident enough to say for sure what I think the gender of those chickens might be. I'm pretty sure the black and white one in the third picture is a hen, and the grey one in the top picture. Their wattles don't seem as big as your rooster's. The all white one, though, seems to have some pretty big wattles for a hen. As long as they're not fighting, watch and observe. If you have any extra roosters, sooner or later someone's gonna crow.....

Okay, when my rooster acts ugly I use a spray bottle. I mix in a little vinager cause he hates the smell. Then I spray him one or twice and he realizes who the boss is. It's really effective depending on the personality. And I also carry him until he finally calms down.

I think what cetrarchid was saying is, his approach to dealing with roosters will be nasty to do  in the mud? That's how it looks to me. If you are interested in keeping your nasty rooster, follow centrarchid's advice. I believe he's very knowledgeable in this area. Personally, I don't wish to deal with a mean rooster and would not keep him in my flock. (Meaning we'd eat him, not dump him off on someone else) You are the only one who can decide how much you want to put up with where your rooster is concerned. I prefer not to have to constantly watch my back, front, or any other part of me when I got out to care for my birds.

I'm not confident enough to say for sure what I think the gender of those chickens might be. I'm pretty sure the black and white one in the third picture is a hen, and the grey one in the top picture. Their wattles don't seem as big as your rooster's. The all white one, though, seems to have some pretty big wattles for a hen. As long as they're not fighting, watch and observe. If you have any extra roosters, sooner or later someone's gonna crow.....

You got my meaning, thanks.

If all progresses the way I like, then you will not have to watch your back. Rooster will loose interest in attacking you for the long-term.

You got my meaning, thanks.

If all progresses the way I like, then you will not have to watch your back. Rooster will loose interest in attacking you for the long-term.
Does the rooster lose all interest in attacking people in general, or just their keeper that has used your technique? Just curious.

thanks, i have a polish ?rooster/hen who is aggressive with my boots, but i can pick pick her/him up and the behavior stops while i hold it. but the minute i put it down it starts up. i did read an article that said to hold their head down until they relax then release and let them walk away, i have done this a time or tow and it works until i come back into the pen

Your interactions with him must be on his home turf. If he does decide to get rude, then you will also get muddy. In the end I like to test rooster while setting down at his level, that way you can really put his interest in your hands to the test.

My ideal is for rooster to not engage any humans.

Check out the following videos of an American Dominique cock that is about 20 months old. His is rube but starting to back off as realizing I am not worth the effort. I post so you can see pattern in his reactions to my movements. Another party I am talking with privately has a better video.that does not involve outright attacks.

First video I committed many no-no's likely done by others either defending themselves or in trying to dominate him.
[VIDEO]

Second video involves movements rooster may interpret as engaging him in aggression.
[VIDEO]

For explanations videos are part of following thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-reduce-rooster-aggression-directed-at-keeper

A big part of the problem is not understanding the roosters signalling before he actually engages in blows.

Last edited:
He for sure comes at me with no warning. I had just opened the doors to the coop and already he was charging at me...
Later today I was in the coop to put straw all over the mud. He acted afraid of me and stayed at the opposite side of the run while I was in there and did not come at me. He doesn't seem to know what he wants to do. If he is outside of the run and free ranging he will come at me from across the field and try to jump up on me. He can reach almost my face when he jumps. I'm short too so that doesn't help.

Like I said before, you are the only one who can decide how much of that you want to put up with from him. I'd suggest locking him up if you ever get company there. He's a liability the way he is. You don't want him injuring a guest. Especially a child.

Yes thank you :) he def can't get to anyone my run is fully enclosed and he can only get out if I let him ;)

Back
Top Bottom