Questions for nothern Texans...

Jul 15, 2018
USA
Hey y'all!

So my family is considering relocating to texas in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I had a few questions.

First, I know that Texas has them(lots of them) but do you guys have a lot of snake "problems"? Poisonous ones to be specific. I have littles to consider here.

Also, the heat. Do you guys have any problems with particular types of chickens? Are there ones that do better in the fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk state?

And thirdly, because I cant think of any other really important ones right now, do northern Texans have the ridiculously awesome southern accent? Lol! I love southern accents!

Lol, there is definitely a mix of accent's here. "Y'all" is a norm although I, a born and raised Texan, can't stand to say it. The area is getting a lot of people moving from all over so you hear all kinds. :) The heat really isn't an issue for my flock. You want to have the coop in the shade if possible and well ventilated. Snakes are an issue for us but mostly rat snakes. Not poisonous but they love eggs and baby chicks. :( You can get something to sprinkle around the coop and if you have chicks, use hardware cloth rather than chicken wire.

Lol, there is definitely a mix of accent's here. "Y'all" is a norm although I, a born and raised Texan, can't stand to say it. The area is getting a lot of people moving from all over so you hear all kinds. :) The heat really isn't an issue for my flock. You want to have the coop in the shade if possible and well ventilated. Snakes are an issue for us but mostly rat snakes. Not poisonous but they love eggs and baby chicks. :( You can get something to sprinkle around the coop and if you have chicks, use hardware cloth rather than chicken wire.
Haha! Awesome! Thank you so much. I will remember that!

I'm originally from west Texas and have a slightly different drawl when I'm with family! You are probably here by now and have experienced your first Texas summer- not a bad one at all. And a real fall this year, apparently. Sometimes it's hot through October.

Back
Top Bottom