questions from a beginner - pic

popsie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Doncaster, England
Hi there

I got a lot of help from the good people on this site when I was incubating and hatching my 8 silkie eggs - now I'm back again asking for help with my babies.

Yesterday morning I got up and checked the chicks - alas my small white baby had died, i had noticed it was a little quiet and not eating as much but i had no idea she was on deaths door - so now I have seven - who, touchwood all seem well - see pic:

SP_A0064.jpg

I think my temps are fine - they are 1 week old and temp is 93 - they have fresh water - I have only fed them chick crumbs - I have pine shavings, mixed with a little straw (which I didn't put down until day 3, when I was happy that they knew where their food bowl was) - I can't think what it could be - am hoping it was just meant to be, she was very small from the start, maybe something out of my hands?

Another question - I have noticed my other white one bathes in the food bowl, do you think its time I put a sand bowl in with them (might they eat it?), what kind should I use, childrens play sand?, should I add crumbs to it so they can have fun scratching through it?

Also, if I give them a little broccolli to play with do I need to cook it - was thinking more of a fun activity than food, any ideas what else I can give them for fun? they don't seem interested in the balls and toys they have got? today I cleaned out their bedding and instead of laying the shavings down I put it in 2 piles hoping they would jump into it but they just walked on it and didn't really scatter it.

Sorry for the long post, I know you'll all forgive me - lol

Thanx for any advice.

Good Morning, I am away from home and my notes but I will attempt to answer a few of your questions. They shouldn't have greens or anything besides their crumbles for a couple of weeks and only then do they need grit. I would caution you against putting in a sand dish as they are very curious, have no need to dust bathe at this stage, and will only eat it. Did your little chick become wet? I usually put kids marbles in my waterer for a while so there is no danger of them getting in the trough or drowning. Did you have a look at their bums? Sometimes they get pasted up and can't poo and this can kill them. You would just need to dip their bums in a dish of warm water and pull the dried poo away. Make sure you dry them afterwards. Nothing else is coming to me but it is early and have not had my coffee. Just biding time in a hotel room while my husband snores. Best of luck, Carolyn

Thanx for your quick reply - definitely no pasty bums - don't think the chick got wet, it's only a very small waterer with only a small lip around, at most she could only have got her foot wet.

Will hold off with the greens and bird bath for now - thanx for the great advice.

I just lost a chick the other day and the common reply is "it just happens". Which makes it a little easier. If you do everything you can, temp, fresh water, food- then you don't have to feel guilty. "it just happens".

Sorry about your chick, good luck with the rest!

Back
Top Bottom