Questions from a newbie....

lynnolekas

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 22, 2010
I am so new to this pheasant mommy thing so please excuse my new mommy ramblings...
I was given a homemade incubator and 8 Red Golden eggs. The first four
did not hatch although I dutifully turned them three times a day (not the last three days),
kept the temp around 100 - 101 and I thought with the appropriate humidity (average of 70%).
I am now on clutch number two - four more eggs put in the incubator on 06-22. I have hovered
over them but sadly, the bulb (heat source) got unplugged last night and I awoke to a chilly 77 degrees
in the incubator. I almost cried. Are my eggs okay? I am discouraged indeed by the failure of the
first clutch and now this!! Any words from the wise to help me along? I need advice and I want
baby birds
smile.png

Thank you in advance!!!!

I don't think that you have lost your chicks. An embryo will start to grow at 72 degrees. It will definitely slow the growth process down, however I would get the temp back up to 99.5-100 degrees asap.

Thanks for the encouragement!! I checked the temp and we were all good at 100 degrees and hopefully soon enough.
Is there a "temp rising too fast" thing to consider? Nothing can be done about that now I suppose so I hold out hope
instead! Would this 12 hours of chilly temps change my anticipated hatch date? I wonder too if I am
doing this part correctly - 3 days no turning and high humidity of 80% is that good? Today I also read about blotchy porous eggs. That
described the last four that got tossed at 29 days (I hadn't the heart at 25 in case I was wrong !!). I tried to read here
about that between my other two legged Mommy duties and didn't glean much other than it was no good. Any thoughts?

This is fun but as my six year old might say, it'll be funner once we get chicks!!
smile.png
Thanks ya'll!!

Back
Top Bottom