Questions....lots of questions

StateLine DG

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
NW Ohio
Okay...you all are going to have to bear with me here! I want to learn as much as possible before I go out and buy an incubator and try to hatch chicks.

1. What temp does the bator need to be at? (99.5-102 correct? this will be with a Little Giant 9200 Still Air)
2. Humidity?
3. From my understanding...from day 19 the humidity needs to raise, right?
4. For turning eggs...2-3 times a day?
5. I've read to use a mat or something like that if hand turning eggs?

I've got a decent idea on most of these...but I want to make sure. I will be getting a book soon on raising/hatching chickens.

Some post hatching questions:
6. If shipping...what age do you ship them out?
7. At what temps can you ship chicks? I know we're coming into shipping season...all the places around here are getting chicks in.

I'm sure I'll think of more!!
lol.png
Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Ok I will try to help. Most people who have a still air run it at 101. If you get one with a fan 99.5.

Humidity is really dependent on where you are and where your eggs come from. Again most people just use 35%-45% for the first 18 days and then raise it to a min of 65%.

Turning...if you use an odd number then they won't sit with the same side over night 2 nights in a row. The min is twice a day.

Some people use gloves when turning, I also put a shelf liner in the bottom of the bator, but that is really for hatching so they have a better grip when stumbling around after hatching.

Shipping- right after hatching..day old, if you don't do it then you will have wait until they are much older. I think teenager.

I am not sure what you mean by what temp can you ship chicks. Do you mean outside temps? You CAN ship anytime of the year, but you take a chance on them freezing.

Good luck and don't be afraid to use the search feature on here, I know I have worn it out!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom