1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions....lots of questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StateLine DG, Mar 27, 2009.

1. StateLine DG

StateLine DG New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Okay...you all are going to have to bear with me here! I want to learn as much as possible before I go out and buy an incubator and try to hatch chicks.

1. What temp does the bator need to be at? (99.5-102 correct? this will be with a Little Giant 9200 Still Air)
    2. Humidity?
    3. From my understanding...from day 19 the humidity needs to raise, right?
    4. For turning eggs...2-3 times a day?
    5. I've read to use a mat or something like that if hand turning eggs?

I've got a decent idea on most of these...but I want to make sure. I will be getting a book soon on raising/hatching chickens.

Some post hatching questions:
    6. If shipping...what age do you ship them out?
    7. At what temps can you ship chicks? I know we're coming into shipping season...all the places around here are getting chicks in.

I'm sure I'll think of more!! [​IMG] Thanks in advance!

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:Ok I will try to help. Most people who have a still air run it at 101. If you get one with a fan 99.5.

Humidity is really dependent on where you are and where your eggs come from. Again most people just use 35%-45% for the first 18 days and then raise it to a min of 65%.

Turning...if you use an odd number then they won't sit with the same side over night 2 nights in a row. The min is twice a day.

Some people use gloves when turning, I also put a shelf liner in the bottom of the bator, but that is really for hatching so they have a better grip when stumbling around after hatching.

Shipping- right after hatching..day old, if you don't do it then you will have wait until they are much older. I think teenager.

I am not sure what you mean by what temp can you ship chicks. Do you mean outside temps? You CAN ship anytime of the year, but you take a chance on them freezing.

Good luck and don't be afraid to use the search feature on here, I know I have worn it out!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by