natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
Hi you all,
I am not a native speaker of English and there are some words used in BYC I don’t grasp. Google translate has good answers for general translations but not for chicken language. I hope someone can help me out.

Feel free to post you're language questions here too.

My questions for now.

Wat is (or is the difference between):
  • hardware cloth - mesh ?
  • pen - run ?

Hi you all,
I am not a native speaker of English and there are some words used in BYC I don’t grasp. Google translate has good answers for general translations but not for chicken language. I hope someone can help me out.

Feel free to post you're language questions here too.

My questions for now.

Wat is (or is the difference between):
  • hardware cloth - mesh ?
  • pen - run ?
Hardware cloth (this is 1/2 inch):
post cap.jpg

Mesh is generally made from something plastic like polypropylene. It can be used to cover runs/small pens to provide protection from aerial predators.

A run is generally a secure area, sometimes with a roof sometimes not, that is attached to the coop.

A pen is considered a, typically, much larger area than a run and is therefore harder to fully secure.

For example, my coop and run combination are kept within a pen that is made from electro-netting.

Hardware cloth (this is 1/2 inch):
View attachment 1986586
Mesh is generally made from something plastic like polypropylene. It can be used to cover runs/small pens to provide protection from aerial predators.

A run is generally a secure area, sometimes with a roof sometimes not, that is attached to the coop.

A pen is considered a, typically, much larger area than a run and is therefore harder to fully secure.

For example, my coop and run combination are kept within a pen that is made from electro-netting.

Thanks. Great answers.
:wee
Now I finally know my run is covered with 1/2” hardware cloth and the pen is made quite safe with hardware cloth in and above the ground (partly .75” hardware cloth and chicken wire) and covered with mesh (cat netting and predator bird netting)
44FD9564-92BB-4641-A7BD-8DE74BD73F59.png

Another language question:
My soil is a mix of two types of clay ground. In Dutch we have two names for the two types of clay:
One clay is a river clay you can use for making pottery (when clean) and making bricks in a oven. The other clay you can use for clay stucco and clay paint.
I have been thinking that adobe might be a good word for the clay stucco soil. But google translate doesn't translate this word.

Another language question:
My soil is a mix of two types of clay ground. In Dutch we have two names for the two types of clay:
One clay is a river clay you can use for making pottery (when clean) and making bricks in a oven. The other clay you can use for clay stucco and clay paint.
I have been thinking that adobe might be a good word for the clay stucco soil. But google translate doesn't translate this word.
I only know of 2 sources of clay - the red/brown one that you get from old river beds and the grey one that you find in and around coal mining area's. A children we would make things from the red sort but the grey sort was far too sicky for anything. I am not sure of names though, sorry.

I only know of 2 sources of clay - the red/brown one that you get from old river beds and the grey one that you find in and around coal mining area's. A children we would make things from the red sort but the grey sort was far too sicky for anything. I am not sure of names though, sorry.
I tried google for more info: most clay is deposited by water ( river or see ) the other type we call ‘leem’ is deposited by the wind and is more pure in lutum particles, flat plates smaller than 0.002 mm. Clay is usually a mixture of clay particles, silt and sand. I think you may call it loam?

Google translated leem about 20 times into clay, but once it said loam. And vice versa works. Maybe google finaly understands there is more to clay then he/she new before.

Back
Top Bottom