1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions on first time broody....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smcdermott, Nov 9, 2015.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    GREAT INFO! Now I just have to wait on her crazy fuzzy butt to get back up. Haha then I will check them all and remove the ones like you said. Thanks soooo much for the info. !!!!!
    I am telling you she is acting like a lunatic. And yes we can semi confine her where she is now from predators.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Haha I like how crazy broodies act. But you'll love it when the chicks come....

Have fun, good luck and post pictures on here of her and her babies.

1 person likes this.
  3. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I am excited to see what kind of surprises I get with the chicks. I only have 1 Lavender Orpington Rooster and the eggs are apparently a mix of Buff Orpington, Bared Rock and Lavender Orpington hens.

4. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    QUESTION........ ok, so we know that the eggs are REALLY close, like days or hours. If we are less, when it is closer, does she go into her own "lock down"mode????? I waited and watch literally all day and unless she was super sneaky, I honestly don't think she got off the nest like at all. Alllllll day today?????? I keep checking on her and she keeps growling at me but just sits there.
    My goal today was going to be to look at the eggs better and make sure there wasn't any that were WAY younger in gestation.if so, get those out to lesson the #.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    From my experience, sometimes they do, other times they don't (and I'm talking about the same hen). Maybe its dictated by temperature or possibly experience at being a mum - I'm honestly not sure. Either way, she knows what she is doing but i know from experience that the waiting is a lot tougher on humans than chickens![​IMG]

CT

1 person likes this.
  6. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Tell me about it ... uggggg

7. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    Awe I can't wait to see your little ones. I have a broody sitting on a few eggs, but I think she gets up too much. I'm not sure they will hatch. Good luck to you!

8. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    WE HAVE BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can only see like 3 popping their heads in and out. How long should I wait to move her????????? (( to make sure everyone is hatched and doing good)) I will be moving her to a cage in the coop so I don't have to put the whole flock on starter feed.
    [​IMG]

9. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great stuff!! - exciting eh? How many eggs were set in total? The chicks can survive for a day or so without water or food, so don't worry about leaving them until tomorrow. You could always gently life the mum up and see what else may be going on (and remove spent egg shells). In my experience, viable eggs usually hatch within 12-18 hours of each other, hence i generally give it a full day before moving them to their broody coop.

Let us know how you get on.

CT

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd just wait till she comes off the nest on her own. When she does, grab any unhatched eggs and move them to an incubator if you have one. Get your cage ready and at nightfall, move her and the brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by