questions on gender, comb, and breed

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
This EE's comb does not look like the comb of its roo-hatchmate. The hatchmate's stands up taller and I can see the 3 rows are very distinct. Also, the feathers right before the tail seem to always be fluffed up and poofy.

I'm confused by this cushion comb. Will it ever raise up? Roo or pullet?

gold sex-links Pullet?

The white and red is the hatchmate to the one in the first picture. The red roo isn't a bantam is he? Any idea on breed?

Your EE is a roo. It is hard to tell what it will do, simply because EEs are by nature mutts with mixed background. You can even get EEs with a single straight comb, instead of a pea comb. Time will tell.

Your Red SL hens are very pretty. Their coloration lables them as pullets (the male version is completely different, and is the bird on the left in the last pic)

Your red rooster doesn't seem to be a bantam, just a shortie so far. He may put on a late growth spurt (remember Red SLs are vigorous hybrids, so he may just have some catching up to do with them).

The bird on the left in the last pic? That is an EE (I was told).

The only sex links I have are the two red ones in the third picture. They're almost as big as my little red rooster, and they're about 2 weeks younger. Glad to know that he's just short.
clap.gif

I don't know much about cushion combs but I believe that bird is a rooster, from the red leakage on the wings.

And I think you have three sex links, the two hens in the third pic and the white roo with red wings in the last pic.

I agree the red roo doesn't look like a bantam, but he does look mixed.

#1 Looks like an EE (random coloring with red shoulder patch and pea comb, beard/muffs)Faverolle (Pink feathered legs, extra toes) mix cockerel.
#2 Looks like a deformed rose comb to me, looks more like a "pure" EE (if you can call an EE "pure"
tongue.png
) Maybe with Wyandotte? That would explain the clean face and rose comb. Oh, also a cockerel.
#3 I agree Red sex-link pullet
#4 White and red cockerel looks like an EE
#5 Production Red mix, maybe with a little bantam game blood in him
hu.gif

Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks everyone!!

The white roo with red wings doesn't look like any sex link I've found. It's got a pea comb and was the same size as the roo in the first pic when I got them. All but the little gold sex links came from a farm and were in the same box sold as EE's. They're definitely not all from the same batch of eggs though. The chick with the rose comb in the third pic also has 5 toes and feathered legs.

Going by Peeka52's numbers:

I assumed that #'s 1 and 4 were the actual EE's

#2, #5, and the two shown below were in with the 2 EE's, but were slightly smaller/younger.

The black is a cockerel and the other is a pullet. Both have muffs, maybe a beard, and single combs.

Sorry if this is confusing. If there's any questions on the order of things, please ask.

It's hard for me to know what they are. All but the 2 little sex links were sold together, and they all seem very different.

Wow, thanks everyone!!

The white roo with red wings doesn't look like any sex link I've found. It's got a pea comb and was the same size as the roo in the first pic when I got them. All but the little gold sex links came from a farm and were in the same box sold as EE's. They're definitely not all from the same batch of eggs though. The chick with the rose comb in the third pic also has 5 toes and feathered legs.

Going by Peeka52's numbers:

I assumed that #'s 1 and 4 were the actual EE's

#2, #5, and the two shown below were in with the 2 EE's, but were slightly smaller/younger.

The black is a cockerel and the other is a pullet. Both have muffs, maybe a beard, and single combs.

Sorry if this is confusing. If there's any questions on the order of things, please ask.

It's hard for me to know what they are. All but the 2 little sex links were sold together, and they all seem very different.

Interesting, I will have to change my guess then, knowing that your white and red roo doesn't have a straight comb. He'd be a either white laced red cornish then, which would also explain why he's growing like he's on steroids, or (and I can't tell in the picture) if he has a muff, I agree that he is an EE.

Last edited:
He is growing fast! I do believe that he has muffs and a beard, just like the EE in the very first picture.

Back
Top Bottom