Questions on hatching Calls

This one has a large air pocket. How should I treat it?
Lockdown should always be on day 23. I can't tell much about the first one. Any chance you can retake a pic? It looks like it might already be internally pipped. The second does have an unusual air cell for day 22, but I've had air cells look like that and still had the duckling hatch.

My camera will not focus, but I do think he is internally pipped. I can hear him and watch his beak opening and closing. Tomorrow is day 23, moving them to the hatching incubator.

That is him on the left side, opening and closing his beak a lot. You can also see fluid moving some, that is the greyer areas, better in the previous picture of this egg.

Last edited:
I am sooo excited, Going to have to try not hover and leave them alone after they get moved. Should I candle them each day as long as one has not pipped externally? And what about the one that may have already pipped inside, should I give him an air hole tomorrow? It's so early.

I am sooo excited, Going to have to try not hover and leave them alone after they get moved. Should I candle them each day as long as one has not pipped externally? And what about the one that may have already pipped inside, should I give him an air hole tomorrow? It's so early.

You don't need to candle every day, but I always candle before lockdown. You want to know where the dip in the air cell is so you can put that side facing up. If you're sure one is internally pipped tomorrow, you can make a small hole in the part of the shell where the air cell is, and I really do mean small. You don't need a big hole for oxygen to get in, and the bigger the hole, the more quickly the membrane will dry out.

So I locked them down about 1PM today. At 1015pm one is wobbling away. So exciting. I think I may have lost the on that looked internally pipped yesterday. There was no movement when I locked them all down, But I added a micro pin hole and am hoping he is just resting up. Temp is around 99, depending on the placement in the incubator, and humidity is around 50%. No the waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom