Questions on housing Pigeons?

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
Ok I have made up my mind and I am going to get one or two pairs of pigeons. Mostly likely will get tumblers and white rollers. I have around 726sqft for them and just built on another part so they will have 800 sqft and share it with 3 peacocks. The pen is pretty high and they will be able to get away from my peacocks. Ok here are my questions...

What should I do for nesting? I was plaing on building 8"x8"x8" boxes with a 3in lip and probally will put a large dog food bowl in each one (4-5 nest boxes.) How will I encourage them to use it? Or will they do it their selfs? Also is that big enough for them and what should I use for nesting materials, I was thinking hay.

What should I feed them? I was thinking chicken scratch mixed with wild bird seed would that be ok?

Could they get through my wire? I have 2"x4" wire with 2"x2" netting covering the entire top, will they be able to sqezze on through the wire?

Do I have to release them? I wasn't planning on releasing them because they have enough room, is it ok not too?

And lastly, what are teh best reproducers? I want some that will hatch eggs often....

Last edited:
we use boxes of 2'x1.5'x1.5' for boxes with a nesting bowl set in one corner, they (the hen... surprise, surprise) will decide where to lay. Straw is better than hay, scattered on the floor and they'll pick them up when they're ready.

chicken scratch, small seeds, chicken pellet (small quantity) will do....

2"X4", yes, they can squeeze through it, especially rollers and other smaller breeds...

you don't need to fly them, but having rollers.... why not... they're bred to be acrobats..

yes. they're good breeders....

They can squeeze through it? The whole pen is 2"x4" wire. That would be to much wire to redo. I do have a pigeon loft on my property, but I wanted them to have allot of flying room. Is there any breeds that can't get through the wire?

You don't want your nest box sides to be over an inch or two higher than the nesting material. That way the squabs can hike their butts over the side and shoot the deposits out of the nest! Otherwisethe nest can become pretty messy. A small deep nest means very nasty babys.

C&Rman :

They can squeeze through it? The whole pen is 2"x4" wire. That would be to much wire to redo. I do have a pigeon loft on my property, but I wanted them to have allot of flying room. Is there any breeds that can't get through the wire?

sure... get some of the fatties like kings/ modenas/ runts/ mondains...​

With them shareing the same pen with peafowl i believe you won.t have pigeons long. Two by four wire will hold most pigeons. What get s throgh the wire from the outside will be the other problem.

Back
Top Bottom