Questions on pop door

Grammahen

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Southern New Hampshire
We have to make a pop door on our coop. I have done a search and got some great ideas, but can anyone help us with a few questions that we have?

1. What kind of latch or lock to put on the outside at night? Not sure that an eye hook latch would be strong enough around here. Lots of preditors. I want something easy to use.

2. Any last minute tips on cutting it out or framing? Getting a little nervous about that one. Oh my goodness, we are definitley not carpenters!

3. Any pics on the locks?

We appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks!

Raccoons can open not only the hook and eye types, but the slide lock latches, as well. They've also opened the dogs leash type hardware.

Locks work, but are a pain. Some people have had luck using a carabiner, but I don't know if enough people have used them in raccoon areas to say they are totally secure.

We went with a door that opens to the inside. I didn't want to have to fiddle with a lock when it was -20 outside.

Most types of popdoor can have a latch on the inside (coop side) -- the only exception being a sliding door that is mounted on the outside of the coop, which is not IMO a great arrangement anyhow.

If the latch is inside the coop, raccoon-proofing the latch is not a big issue
tongue.png

Also you can arrange "bar the door" type latches that are stronger and less apt to be ripped out by a strong animal, if you want -- again from the inside of the coop is usually possible.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thank you all for the replies. I like the the idea of having the latch on the outside, but I think the latch on the inside makes more sense for me. I never really thought of that. I also see it as an opportunity to be in contact with the chickens more. I guess if I have to enter the run anyway to unlock it, I may as well go into the coop. The last coop/run I had I pulled the string from outside the fence and it opened the door. I did not have a lock. Where we live now there are alot more preditors. We found a dead chicken without a head on our property from the neighbor's chickens. There's our sign. I need to really protect them here.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom