Questions on releasing our pigeons for the first time...

Thank you all for your responses! My husband believes the birds need to be able to free fly. I, of course, am still worrying about all of the what if's and am having to accept that occasionally we will lose a bird. We definitely have hawks and other predators so I could never clip wings and let them wander around the yard (as much as I would love that!). Sadly, our own dogs would get them if we did. We found out that we have a neighbor who also has pigeons and their coop is unlike anything I've ever seen. It has permanent open slots up high where the birds can get in/out whenever they choose! Its big enough for them to get in/out but keep larger critters out. She sent me videos of them hanging out on top of her home, their coop, and all flying in together. It was quite magical to see. We aren't racing them or anything...just keeping them as pets. Wish us luck! And thanks again!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DdnykRM5dJvw6aaP6

here’s a few. my favorite part of looking back at the picture is you can see how thin and scared they used to be, and how happy and friendly they were after months of care. the rescue got them from a place they were being abused and hoarded so i’m happy they are so happy now.

they are so cute! thank you for sharing!

an aviary is a GREAT addition to any loft, especially when you are having problems with hawks. but even if its 10 by 10, that is no where near what they would get free flying. free flying they can go fast, high, out of sight, in trees, etc. in an aviary, they have no freedom.

don't get me wrong, aviary's are very important, but they cant replace free flying.

I would love to have a 50x50 aviary! HA! But my husband agrees with you and thinks they need to be able to free fly. I'm just so scared that when we let them out, the pair currently sitting on eggs, won't come back. I don't think I could hand feed squabs! And unfortunately I don't have a separate cage to keep them in. So for now, they are in a 6x10ft coop and we will be letting them free fly soon. Fingers crossed. I really hope they all come back as I've grown quite attached!

Thank you all for your responses! My husband believes the birds need to be able to free fly. I, of course, am still worrying about all of the what if's and am having to accept that occasionally we will lose a bird. We definitely have hawks and other predators so I could never clip wings and let them wander around the yard (as much as I would love that!). Sadly, our own dogs would get them if we did. We found out that we have a neighbor who also has pigeons and their coop is unlike anything I've ever seen. It has permanent open slots up high where the birds can get in/out whenever they choose! Its big enough for them to get in/out but keep larger critters out. She sent me videos of them hanging out on top of her home, their coop, and all flying in together. It was quite magical to see. We aren't racing them or anything...just keeping them as pets. Wish us luck! And thanks again!
they’re wings don’t need to be clipped. they’ll still wander around the yard if you just open the coop door and let them. ours weren’t clipped by choice

First thing first - never fly birds that you can not afford to lose, because eventually you will lose birds. Hawk attacks/kills, overflies, sudden storms can all contribute to losses. What breed do you have ? Homers if settled at their previous loft should not be flown as they will return to their original homes if of any quality. I would suggest building a settling cage that includes the landing board, trap, and if possible the roof. Allow the birds to become accustomed to using this and entering the loft through the trap. Feed condition your birds with a whistle/sound/rattling can while feeding. Fly your birds hungry and call them in with the feed conditioning sound. Once all have entered the loft lock the trap so that predators can not enter the loft. I have had both Cooper's hawks and once a Great Horned owl enter my lofts due to negligence on my part. Good luck with flying your flock. Cooper's hawks put me out of business.
I have no idea what breed they are. We assume just homing pigeons? We tried to get some from a rescue but none were available so we purchased them from a gentleman on craigslist. They weren't any fancy breed and he said they hadn't been trained. Although I think my white bird with feet feathers is quite fancy! =) They are just our pets now. We have red tail hawks here and a RIDICULOUS amount of woodpeckers, quail, rabbits and squirrels so I hope the hawks will go after easier targets that aren't my pet pigeons! I also hope they don't fly back to the previous owner. Their coop is much bigger/nicer here. If only they knew that! ha! Fingers crossed.

I would love to have a 50x50 aviary! HA! But my husband agrees with you and thinks they need to be able to free fly. I'm just so scared that when we let them out, the pair currently sitting on eggs, won't come back. I don't think I could hand feed squabs! And unfortunately I don't have a separate cage to keep them in. So for now, they are in a 6x10ft coop and we will be letting them free fly soon. Fingers crossed. I really hope they all come back as I've grown quite attached!
alright! Keep us posted! do let them see all around the yard, and how to get in there door. Take your time in training.

Never let birds out that are sitting on eggs or feeding babies. It’s tempting to give the poor parents a well deserved break, and their urge to return is oftentimes stronger when they know they have young to attend to, but it never fails that the bird with babies will be the one picked off by the hawk that day.

Back
Top Bottom