Questions on slaughtering / butchering...

Quote:
Gut it after you scald and pluck it. Scalding isn't cooking, so it won't even warm up the guts. I scalded one too hot once, and it was unmistakable, the cooked skin was peeling off the bird.

I do use the feet. I blanch and peel them in the house, and throw them into the next batch of stock. I've never used them on their own for stock though.

Quote:
This is most likely the biggest culprit. I like to let sit in the fridge for at least two days, up to four.

If rigor mortise could be an issue....we likely froze it at the right (WRONG) time. Stiff as could be when going into the freezer.

I do the cornish x and have never aged them. Game birds ( hunting ), they would be aged. I use to know an old timer, he would let his birds hang until the feather were just about falling off.

Out of the fridge??? It sounds a little iffy to me....like food poisoning iffy.

Also try brine. I did that last time and the eat was sooooo tender, I was reallly suprised. Brine is a salt/sugar solution that breaks down the fibers of the tissue. there are lots of good instructions online.

I'll have to look into the brine thing....not familiar with it. Sounds interesting though.

A bunch of old timers told us, if our fence couldn't hold water it won't hold a goat.

lol.png
LOVE IT!
I've started writing a few columns for the Dexter newsletter and our web site called "Greenhorn's Corner - Articles by a greenhorn for greenhorns" This sounds alot like the one I was getting ready to write on fencing. I've heard goats are worse than cows....but calves seem like they can run/squeeze/squirt through anything except a good mesh.....can't beat it.

OH....and electric.....it's NEVER powerful enough! Just when you think you got it......something comes along to throw you a curve!

(This year it was a severe drought....our electric was USELESS....even when watering the ground rods. This is the part where you imagine the cow LICKING the electric wire!)

We use the two wire system and it works great for our super rocky soil. The goats have a pretty good idea that it is guaranteed to work after watching one of their buddies get friendly with the fence.
wink.png

Quote:
Any details on cutting the throats? Just slice one jugglar? Slice all the way across? Take the head?

Anyone ever hear of or experience the "adrenaline runing the meat" thing?

I'm guessing my wife was right and that the bird was closer to a year old. She usually is right (don't tell her I said that!)

1. Slice both juggler's > a sharp knife or razor. With your fingers you will be able to feel the "Jaw Line". Starting at the hilt of the knife (Closest to the handle) just above this point draw it back about 3 inches with a little pressure against the chickens neck and it will do the job. You will know when you have done it correctly due to the amount of blood.

2. You do want them to remain as calm as possible. I prepen mine and allow them only water for 12 hrs. This empties the crop and most of their system. Cleaning is easier and more sanitary.

3. This comes from my hunting experience and is backed up by fact from University studies. Allowing meat to be held in temp range of 38-44 degrees will "Age" the meat making it taste better and decrease the (Toughness/Texture) felt when chewing. I age wild game for 4-6 days before we cut and wrap. With the chickens I hold them for 2-3 days at that temp range.

4. Older birds need slow low temp cooking and they will be great to eat. You will be able to tell a difference but cooking it correctly is about 60% of what determines texture. The other 40% is listed above.

The Joel Salatin videos are great at demonstrating the butchering process.

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom