Questions On Sultans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Feb 9, 2011.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Anybody have any pics of sultan chicks and adults they could post. Also, is white the only color these come in? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sultans are being worked on in blue, black, and cuckoo is different countries. In the U.S. we have them in white, and I believe we have a few blacks floating around in selected areas. I'm pretty sure the other varieties are around in the UK. Here's a few pics of my hen. I don't have adult pictures but she hasn't changed really at all from the last pic-unless you count additional redness to the face.

(On the right)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was a little more than 5 months here.
    [​IMG]

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Whoa! They are gorgeous! So what would you mix them with to get other colors such as blue, etc?

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! She's a love. [​IMG] Well, I'm sure alot of breeding (years worth) would have to be done to make them look like 'Sultans'. I'm not even remotely an expert on this subject, but I would start interbreeding Polish and work my way from there. Because Polish have such a vast variety of colors, and because they look pretty similar (minus the feathered feet, 5th toe, vulture hocks, and possible beard/muffs, etc) that would be my choice.

But breeding white to any color than white should, if I'm not much mistaken, result in mystery colored offspring because of what the white gene hides. So getting one specific color should be difficult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by