""Questions please"".......""About chickens only"".......

My 4-year old rooster has some really long leghorns that are almost growing into his legs. How do I remove them without having to put him out to cut them off? I tried the hotpotato method but he was squawking pitifully in pain so I stopped because something was just not right, I had to split the tater in half just to get it onto part of the spur. He sleeps on the ground, I think it's because he can't fly since he was a chick and a hawk caught him then dropped him on the ground with an injured leg and a hole in his head. How can I get his spurs (or their sheaths) off without major vet trips? I'll try to get a picture of his spurs today.

Attachments

• DSCF3830.JPG
    DSCF3830.JPG
    508.9 KB · Views: 8
Hopefully this will help you.

To remove a roosters spurs you'll need a pair of pliers and some cornstarch or blood stop powder. Have someone hold the rooster and flip him over onto his back. Holding the leg with one hand, grasp the spur with the pliers and gently twist slightly in a clockwise motion, then turn back in a counterclockwise motion. The spur should pop free exposing the quick below it.

Remove the second spur then dust them both with the cornstarch or blood stop powder. They should only bleed a tiny bit and will dry up fairly quickly. Don't put him back in the coop till the bleeding has stopped. It shouldn't bother him much but might bleed a tiny bit if he bumps it over the next few days.

My 4-year old rooster has some really long leghorns that are almost growing into his legs. How do I remove them without having to put him out to cut them off? I tried the hotpotato method but he was squawking pitifully in pain so I stopped because something was just not right, I had to split the tater in half just to get it onto part of the spur. He sleeps on the ground, I think it's because he can't fly since he was a chick and a hawk caught him then dropped him on the ground with an injured leg and a hole in his head. How can I get his spurs (or their sheaths) off without major vet trips? I'll try to get a picture of his spurs today.

Okay well the thing is, since the spur is in a C shape, wouldn't twisting it hurt the quick?
I've never dealt with any that long. I would suggest that you start by cutting them off, probably 1/4"-1/2" at a time. You should be able to see the quick if you shine a bright light. Mark the spur where you want to cut, then use a dremel with a cutting wheel and trim them. Every other week, trim them again until you get them in better shape. Stay on top of keeping them trimmed so they don't grow into the leg.

Hopefully others that have run into this problem with a curled spur will chime in.

I don't have a dremel tool. I do have some large dog nail clippers that I use to cut the chooks toenails, will they work?
I have never tried dog nail clippers. If they are sturdy and sharp enough you could try, I have heard that some people use them.
I've also seen mention of using a hacksaw, so that's something to think about as well.

Back
Top Bottom