Questions, Questions, Questions

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by creekrocket, May 11, 2011.

1. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    Ill be building a coop soon for my first ever endeavor into the chicken world. I know nothing about chickens, at all. I live in a residential neighborhood, so having a rooster is out. I am mainly wanting to have up to six birds total, at any given time. I would like to be able to collect an occassional egg or two, but I think that I would get more out of them for their meat. From what Ive been reading on this forum, Cornish x chickens are the way to go for 'meat birds'.
    How large will my coop have to be including the run? I plan on building the coop and run as one unit. So with 6 chickens, what should the demesions be to house these little jokers comfortably? And, would it be to much to have 2 egg laying hens and 4 meat hens, or should I just stick with te meat hens for my first go at this?
    Say I just go with the 6 meat hens. What guidlines do I need to follow in order to ensure that the birds get everything that they will need in order to live their short lives comfortably and healthy?
    As I said, Im new to this, so I want this 'adventure' to be good for all of 'us'. At first I was thinking all you do was to build a coop, get the birds, put food and water out for them, and let it roll. Kind of 'Set It and Forget It' mentality, if you will. After reading a lot from this site.....I quickly found that that was the wrong mentality, or is it?
    I know some of y'all are probably laughing at me, but thats ok. Im kinda laughing at myself too. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    stickies stickies stickies . . . [​IMG]
    go to the top of each of the sections on this forum and read the notable archives, you will find answers to most of your questions. Good luck and welcome!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Reading the stickies are indeed the way to go, but I'd like to suggest getting a few just for the eggs at first. At least 3. You want a minimum flock size of 3 since they are social birds and must have company. Two is OK, not really great, but if someone happens to one, then you have only one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by