Questions Questions Questions..

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AliciaM, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    I have 3 geese.. All hatched this year.. 1 male Pilgrim and 1 male Roman tufted and 1 female Roman tufted..

How old will they be when the breeding urge hits them.. And should I be worried about the girl when that happens?? Im looking into getting a couple more girls.. but right now finding them is about impossible..

Auto Sexing.... Pilgrims are auto sexing.. So are shetlands.. Or so I see on the Haldereads website...If I get a female shetland, will the offspring be auto sexing also??...

Thanks.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I kind of suspect that if a male pilgrim and a female shetland were bred, since both are sexually dimorphic breeds, it should continue in the offspring. But then again, I barely passed genetics, and at that only thanks to the fact it was a class of 500 or more graded on a curve.

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    They should breed next spring.
    The ganders might fight over the female.
    Email Dave H. about crossing Pilgrim x Shetland if nobody can help you here.

4. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG] my three month old "weeder" geese-african or chinese or mix-are doing the wild thing in their kiddy pool as of a week or so ago. As far as eggs I am thinking probably next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by