Questions re: fresh corn and apples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by watchdogps, Sep 14, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    How much corn on the cob is okay to give? Can it be their whole feed ration for some days? I ask because I just picked the "reject" corn from the field our landlord has, and I have a LOT of it. I plan to freeze what I can so they can have "fresh" corn in the winter too.

Also,we have some apple trees and they really enjoy the fallen apples, which ALL have grubs in them. Is it okay to freeze some of those and give them too? That way they'd get some bugs in the winter too!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that would be fine! They would really enjoy the corn on the cob and the apples, especially in the winter. I would only give them as treats though. Corn is basically like a candy to chickens, and doesn't offer proper nutrition.

3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I would use care about corn becoming the total diet for an extended amount of time.

Please note:

Corn = 7-8% Protein
    Layer Feed = 16% Protein

Here is an accidental experiment that might be relevant:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562670

I document with photos some comparison between feeding corn verses layer feed

4. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Oh no, not for a long time, I'm thinking maybe one day a week as needed to extend feed when I'm broke!
    I just picked three five gallon buckets of it and two of the apples. My husband is going to know I've lost my mind when he sees me freezing grubby apples...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by