Questions regarding the dietary needs of rabbits

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Hello everyone! For the past few weeks, I have been doing extensive amounts of research involving rabbit husbandry. Now, before I bite the bullet, I of course need to run the costs of keeping a bunny, and everything that it may entail. Because they need a practically unlimited supply of Timothy hay, I have come to the conclusion that buying a bale is the most cost effective. Now, there is a hay suppler near me that sell bales of KENTUCKY and CANADIAN Timothy hay. Does anyone know the difference between this and standard Timothy hay? Also, how important are pellets? Do pet rabbits really need them? Thank y'all in advance.

I haven't had rabbits for a long time, but I was very successful raising meat rabbits when I was. My rabbits got rabbit pellets. Period. They did fine. If I was raising rabbits now, I might feed them some hay. I am sure it is good for them but in my limited experience I don't think it is absolutely essential.

House rabbits or outdoor? I've only had house rabbits but they loved anything green from the yard and branches to chew: apple or pear. If you're not breeding you really, really should spay any female due to the high uterine cancer risk.( I think it was like $150 said and done)
The biggest trouble I would warn anyone about is finding a vet to see them about ANYTHING. I live in n PA and they are considered exotics here. Seriously. I had to find a vet in ohio to ask any questions I had.
My rabbits lived to about 6 to 8 years.

2x @cassie Years ago I raised NZ for meat, sold the poop & skin (tanned) ... All I fed was pellets. It gets really warm & humid here during the summer months, so I'd give them baby carrots, comfrey but not much lettuce. I turned them out at 8wks & did well until my wrist got carpal tunnel

Hey y’al! Is this a good choice for litter? It’s seemed to be the most cost effective.
C68138F5-C186-40B6-9E04-0B2407994391.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom