questions/suggestions for forum

cherub78

Songster
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Central NY
First LOVE the forum and please, please don't take this as me complaining or anything- this is just stuff I have had trouble with and thought I would toss out the info to see if it would be helpful.

Not sure any is do-able, but thought I would toss out these thoughts and see what the mods and designers of the site say.

I know abt the new location feature (love it!!!- wish everyone would select theirs now that you have that). Thank you, thank you, thank you for that addition!

First, yesterday I was reading some posts. One of the posters had a link to their BYC page and I opened it in a new window. Without thinking closed the first window I had open. Well, I was reading about their coop design, and started wondering where they were located. Their was nothing I could find on their page with location or their username for me to search the forum again to find the orig post. And, by this time and a zillion distractions here at home I couldn't recall what the heck I was searching for when I found it (yes, I know how to use the history feature on my browser, but do you know how many BYC posts I read that day???). I thought it would be helpful for the BYC pages to have a link to the profile of the person maybe or the user name in the url of their pages???

I noticed the same thing about the coop pages- hard to tell where those coops are located, which I think is an important factor. Granted it was by own stupidity not using the same window and the "back" button the the first instance. In the url, it lists a blog number, but not a user name- could the user name be there with the blog number maybe? Or am I not seeing where the info is (very possible).

Second, on the subject of the coop pages, I notice a lot of the photos are removed or over limit (like from photobucket) and are missing. Would it be possible to archive the photos on the BYC server when they are added to the coop pages so they don't get removed? I realize our server space (or whatever it is called) is limited, but I think it would be better than having coops there with no photos.

Third, in the category of for sale stuff, I can search by full state name when people include that in the title or post text, but cannot seem to search by state abbreviation (not enough letters I guess). Not everyone spells out the name of the state even in the post text. I know it is hard to get people to remember to put the state in the title (I am guilty of this to). This is probably the trickier of the suggestions, as you can't really control what people put there, but maybe be able to search for just 2 letters instead of 3 or more? Again- I am probably doing something wrong here and the only one having this problem...lol.

OK, back to my first cup of coffee and being quiet now so no one gets upset with me. I really hope no one takes this wrong. I have been terribly ill and the last thing I want is to upset anyone on the forum.

Quote:
Nope, you're not the only one, and you are definitely a couple steps ahead of me... I could not, for the life of me, figure out why searching state abbreviations wasn't working.... It never dawned on me that a word needed 3 or more letters to be seachable (!!) Was pretty sure I was spelling "PA" correctly....
lol.png
Thanks!

You probably already did this, but did you check out the User List Search option?? I knew there had been talk about sorting mebers by location, but I JUST NOW actually noticed the feature (AND updated my profile!!). Duh, me!!
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Great idea!!!

Quote:
As part of the first suggestion I'm thinking about having each BYC userpage have the member's name listed and that name will link to their profile. Will that work?

Quote:
That is a pet peeve of mine and really is the #1 (by far) reason why we added the ability for peeps to upload images to BYC's servers using the upload tool. I don't fully trust photobucket or other image hosting sites. For future contests we may require that the images be uploaded to the BYC server for the submission to count. For all the existing pages it is a very manual process to copy the pictures over and replace each image link with a new link. That said, we have been doing it. We've done this on about 20 of the top member pages. It is really slow and takes a lot of work (we usually ask / get permission from the image owner, copy the images to BYC, then manually, one by one, swap the images in their pages). Lots going on behind the scenes that most members don't know about.

So, yes, everyone creating a BYC page... PLEASE upload your pics to the BYC server!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Unfortunately the default forum search tool does not allow 2 letter searches.

We're hoping that this will be solved by stage 2 or 3 of the new geo location feature. We'll hopefully allow people to search for all BST items in specific areas (requiring peeps to put in their locations). Until then the BYC Staff will continue to strongly encourage members to enter the full state of the items they are selling.

cherub78, thanks SO MUCH for the great feedback. We encourage our members to help us improve the site and LOVE when the feedback is well thought out and very specific as you have done.

thumbsup.gif

Thank you for listening to my suggestions. I know everyone works plenty hard enough to make this a great web site and I am grateful for that, especially since this is more fun than- oh, like say doing housework or something that I really should be doing. I realize the last thing you would need is more work to do or stuff to figure out.

Thank you and keep up the great work!
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom