Questions

barbara26

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2016
Hello, I'm a new owner of chickens and I have a few questions.
How old do you think my chickens are and when will they start laying eggs?

20160826_140240_zpsr8awoq06.jpg

20160826_140841_zpsds7skk6x.jpg

20160826_140847_zps7bs3gtus.jpg

Does the last one have a cross beak? I am new to chickens as well, so not very good at estimating age. If they are on the smaller side and still have some feather shoots they may be juveniles. Are they are still making chirping sounds or lower pitched, almost honking sounds if you pick them up or startle them? My oldest birds are 12 weeks old and their voices are starting to drop.

I tried to pick one up and she didn't make chirping sound and I don't think they have any feather shoots.

So I'll need to to wait a month or two for my first egg?

Not ready yet....Once wattles and combs turn red it will be within a month...Usually...Not a true science but a great indicator of when to expect eggs....Keep waiting....I started a new flock this year too and have been waiting myself.....Any time now, I think?

I hope that I will not be away for college when they start laying.. Is it bad that one hen has a cross beak?
Tommorow I'm bringing home two more styrian hens and a styrian rooster. I hope they will be a bit older.

I hope that I will not be away for college when they start laying.. Is it bad that one hen has a cross beak?
Tommorow I'm bringing home two more styrian hens and a styrian rooster. I hope they will be a bit older.
Unless the beak is bothering her it is not a issue...If she can eat and drink? She is fine....

Egg waiting becomes a tedious time.....Wait and wait and wait some more!! Haha!!!

I hear you...

Good luck going back to school....

I saw her eat and drink so I hope she will be okey.

I'll post picture of styrian chickens tommorow. I hope the rooster won't be mean. Is anyone familiar with this breed? Are they good layers? I've read that they're eggs are ivory colour.

Thank you it's actually my first year at college, but I will be home every weekend.

I saw her eat and drink so I hope she will be okey.

I'll post picture of styrian chickens tommorow. I hope the rooster won't be mean. Is anyone familiar with this breed? Are they good layers? I've read that they're eggs are ivory colour.

Thank you it's actually my first year at college, but I will be home every weekend.
I never heard of the breed myself..
If she eats and drinks it sounds more cosmetic and not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom