Quiche--what I am doing wrong???

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
I've made quiche three times now and every time, it's rubbery, dry and not very good...what's the catch? What I am doing wrong?

I use frozen pie shells, fresh eggs, cheese, peppers, bacon, salt & pepper....

Ideas?

Tips???

I am probably cooking it too long for one....but what else???

Are you baking your pieshell first?

How much milk are you using? Quiche is like a custard. The eggs are used to set the milk.

Quote:
Do you use milk with the eggs? I use 1 cup milk to 5 large eggs per pie.
Also cook quiche at a lower temp like 300*-325*F. It is done when a butter knife tip comes out of the center clean. Maybe your oven is off.
And by not very good are you talking taste? A tip I was taught years ago was too lightly brush the bottom of the crust with mustard. Gives it a great taste.

Imp

Hi! Rubber-y and dry means you are likely cooking it too long. I cook 'egg-pies' (too red-neck to cook quiche here) until it's barely set in the center and then take it out of the oven. Let it rest 10 mins and serve. I cook mine in cast iron so the residual heat keeps it cooking and hot, but not overcooked.

smile.png

Lisa

Use DUCK eggs! They're rich & deeeeeeeeeelicious!

I make a quiche (or maybe it's an egg pie) with the refrigerated roll-out pie crust, line the bottom with diced carrots, thaw & press dry a box of frozen chopped spinach in a big mixing bowl & add about a dozen duck eggs. I don't add milk, just some seasoned salt called Spike. I pour it into the carrot-lined crust and bake until firm, about 30-40 minutes. Then I spread some grated cheese across the top and let it melt.

I like the Bisquick impossible pies... they are like quiche but a lot easier..

and I think like others have mentioned.. your oven is off temp or you are cooking to long

Back
Top Bottom