Quick ??? about heat lamp and heat.....

I would love to post some pics, but they seem to be having an awful time getting the things to hatch out. It has been 2 times now that they have had a bad hatch and not been able to send them to me. They were supposed to get here today and I called and they said .... oh sorry, the hatch didn't make it again so hopefully next week we will be able to send them.

I started to cancel the order, but they must be fairly rare birds because I have not seen them for sale anywhere else so I decided to not be so hasty, and since I've been put off 2 times now they apologized and said that they would refund the shipping on them which was nice. I haven't held it against them at all. Sometimes things happen yanno.

I also seemed to have misplaced the dang usb cord to the camera.
sad.png

Hopefully next week. I've got my fingers crossed and will accept any other crossed finger assistants.
smile.png

I'm intrigued by your mentioning of all the different ages you have in your brooder! I have five week olds in one brooder and two week old bantams in another brooder, their sizes are so different right now, I was going to wait until the bantams at least had some feathering. Have you had any trouble introducing new ages in?

Quote:
No trouble at all....when they are this young I just toss the lil ones in with the older ones up to about 6/7 weeks old... past 7/8 weeks they seem to get a lil fisty and torment the lil ones so then I toss them out and put them with the hens.....

In the brooder I have..... 6 & 7 week olds, 4 week olds, 2/3 week olds and 1 week olds....
In the hen house I have The hens (1.5 years old), 12 week olds and 8/9 week olds.....
.........when I put them in the hen house (big coop) I watch them on and off closely for a few days.... I also rearrage my roosts in the coop, This helps tremendously....it breaks up and divides the "this is my spot to roost" problem so EVERYONE has to find a new spot that night. They dont fighting because there is no claim to where they go and roost. I do this whenever I toss a new bunch of younger ones in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I wouldn't take out the 250 watt having one week olds in there. Mine have the 250 watt on them now and they are a week old and it's 65 in my house. They are doing great and have never panted over being to hot..in fact they always sleep under the lamp.

Back
Top Bottom