QUICK ANSWER NEEDED: Grazing Lease

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by texas_chick, Feb 10, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Does anybody know how much grazing leases usually run?
    We are in Central Texas if that makes a difference.
    Are grazing leases paid monthly? Or annually?

Thanks in Advance! [​IMG]

2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I think that depends upon the nature of the land and the conditions under which the lease is made. We get paid annually, but we have to remind the tenant to pay us.

Our property was originally leased to a cousin, but she passed away and her husband has passed the ranch on to his son in law.

It is a nice property with grass growing shoulder high in good years.

In the beginning, we let the lease go cheap because she was our cousin. Now about thirty five years later, we are still getting the same amount on the lease from a shirt tail relative we don't even know.

I tell my brothers that we need to be more realistic about this property.

I guess I didn't give you much information, sorry about that. But be aware that kinship is no reason to let yourself be done out of something.

Rufus

3. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    We are trying to lease a little bit of land. Very sandy, mostly weeds but it's a little extra place for our horses and goats.

They have 180 acres total and are leasing 70 acres for cattle grazing. Their ranch borders right on our little mini farm and they know we keep our fences in good order, etc. which is important simply because they are not happy with their current leasee.
    So they might be willing to lease us just a couple of acres with the option to buy at the end of the lease.

So... what might a 2 acre grazing lease run?

PS: I am getting grass envy here... LOL I always tell DH if we ever move we need to move to where they have dirt and rain!

4. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Boy this can have a lot of different answers. If you are lucky enough to get a state or federal grazing lease then it will likely be less costly than from a private lease. It certainly does make a difference where you are located, what you will be grazing (cow, horses, etc). Once again some leases are paid monthly and some annually. It depends on how it is structured. Some leases are by acre and some based on number of units (animals) on the land.

We have leased by cow pairs and paid both upfront for entire season and monthly. We are in Colorado and going rate is $12.00 to $20.00 per pair per month. The rate is often determined by water available, fencing, and condition of land.

I hope this is some help.

5. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Yes, that's great! Thanks. We'd provide our own fencing, water, etc.
    I guess I'll wait and see. I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect so I won't be surprised. [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Your county extension office might be able to give you some prices....or your state livestock association.

We got a chance last year to rent a pasture that adjoins one we own. The going rate for our sandhill pasture is $100 per pair for the season. We pay half at the beginning of the grazing season and the other 1/2 when we get them out. The season runs from May 1 to Oct. 1.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by