Quick brag on two roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaintedPony, Jan 6, 2010.

1. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    I have four roos housed in twosomes. Two of these guys are fairly new here but today they proved their right to stay as long as they want. My closest neighbor has some feral cats that prowl around the barn. I've disposed of three of them but they just keep reproducing. They lurk around the barn trying to get the small chickens and it ticks me off to no end. I've caught them late at night trying to get in the coop. Well, today the new roos were out with their ladies and most were relaxing in the barn breezeway. Suddenly one of the roos got up, walked to the barn door, got very upset and started screaming up a storm. His buddy came running and those two chased a cat clear to the other side of the property! I've seen chickens run but never a dead run over 500 feet! These two were serious! Once they felt it was far enough away they ran back to the barn area but wouldn't come in it. They kept walking past the fence area where the cats enter our property as if they were on patrol. At dusk they decided to come back to the barn, get a drink of water, eat a snack, and hop up on their favorite roost together for bedtime. I'm impressed. Normally these wo are very gentle and easy to handle. Not an aggressive bone in their bodies towards humans or their hens. I love my roos!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    That's awesome! Good boys!

3. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Yeah for the boys!

4. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks. I was really impressed with their "cockiness" towards the cat. I had stopped letting the chickens out of their pens because I was afraid one of them would be attacked by the cats. I am setting up the live trap again. It was bad enough that cat came lurking around, but to do it when I was there!?!?! I'm sure the neighbors and passerbys got quite a laugh watching those roos chase the cat and me chasing all three of them. I was worried the cat would stop running and start chasing but I guess I don't give the roos enough credit. Both got a handful of BOSS (their favorite treat) this morning.

5. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Good boys!!! They are keepers for sure!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by