QUICK! Can chickens have wheat germ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Dec 5, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think they can, but want to be sure.
    I'm cooking the chooks a large pot of oatmeal for their afternoon snack. I have jar of wheat germ that I'd like to use up. I want to add it to their oatmeal.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely, don't tell mine, they're the jealous kind...[​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Lynne. I won't tell your chooks if you don't tell my DH. He actually thinks I bought the super sized box of oatmeal for us to eat. [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Too funny! I had my DH pick up a costco size box yesterday so I can make "cookies." He has no idea that the main reason is that it has been really cold lately and I wanted to give the flock hot breakfast in the morning.....[​IMG]

5. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Mine really love warm oatmeal with some ground catfood (coffee grinder) and some yogurt mixed in. yummmmmmmmmmmy!
    [​IMG]

6. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    I made mine some oatmeal and trudged out through the blizzard to give it to them for the first time today after reading some of the threads on BYC. The girls were huddled in a group under the coop but were blown away by the awesomeness of the oatmeal. My DH has now put me into the crazy chicken lady group. But my girls love me. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You are not officially a crazy chicken lady/gent until you bake (homemade flock blocks) for them. I should know. [​IMG]

They are OD'ing on their oatmeal right now. I made a huge pot. [​IMG]

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Animal grade oats???? are available at the feed and seed, can I cook these as treats for them as well.?????

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I don't see why not. I'm sure the chickens could have them, but do they cook up the same way? That would be my only question.

10. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny thread!

I just went to the health food store today, ang got some oats, almonds, raisins, apples, and flax seeds. Might as well add some of the wheat germ I have in the frig, hadn't thought of that. My husband thinks I'm making a big batch of granola - little does he know. My girls will LOVE it!!

As for dinner tonite - Organic pasta, with a light bison, roasted tomato, herb, and fresh garlic sauce. A side salad of chopped radish greens with baked beets and tops, lightly drizzled with a parmesan olive oil blend!! They are such foodies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by