Quick death

Nov 22, 2020
Hi all
ive had 3 guinea fowl die the same way now, different situations and ages.

What happens is that they kink their her to the side (head to wing) which causes them to loose balance and roll over their backs, the head stays kinked, then they loose control of their wings (drop down), next they loose all strength in legs, and find them dead on their backs.

It's happens quiet quickly

It's happened to one adult - free range, dam, water, they have some game bird pallets
Week old keet - indoor, clean cage, heat lamp, space, fresh rain water, damp game bird pallets
2 day old keet - just out the incubator

Any ideas
Thanks

Last edited:
I would have guessed a possible toxin in the older bird, but the keets were in a controlled environment. Perhaps @R2elk will see this and have better input.

Thanks. A few of us have discussed that it's mostly likely something neurological.

I'm pretty sure the adult was an OG from the breeder. The mother of the new keets is last year's breed baby from the OG.

So there's 'original' who bred 'mum' who bred 'keets'.

Im not sure if they interbreed but than the OG was affected aswell.

Did the deaths happen in a short time?
Im so sorry to hear this. Would say one of them might have gotten into some poison and got it on them, brought it back maybe? I know the old rat poison with strychnine in it would act similar.

Aaron

Yes, about 15 mins.

Thanks. I'm a bit concerned now that its happened 3 times. 1 was many months ago. 2 keets this week. Poor fluffy little babies.

I guess it could be possible for adult too. But not the keets. They are inside, controlled environment

Teflon fumes from cooking too hot will kill a bird quicker than snot. The symptoms you describe are not those of teflon poisoning,but something else you may have done inadvertantly?

Aaron

Teflon fumes from cooking too hot will kill a bird quicker than snot. The symptoms you describe are not those of teflon poisoning,but something else you may have done inadvertantly?

Aaron
A number of people have killed their chicks by using teflon coated bulbs for heating. Teflon poisoning will kill all of them though.

A number of people have killed their chicks by using teflon coated bulbs for heating. Teflon poisoning will kill all of them though.
Thats one of the reasons I bring it up, however the symptoms she mentions do not sound like teflon poisoning. Sounds more like Strychnine or some other poison IF it was a substance. To be a breeding / neuro thing, odd that it'd hit at the different ages like that Id think. Youd expect the death either at birth or shortly thereafter, or when they got to a certain age, not across the spectrum like that.

Hopefully it's figured out soon what it is so they can eliminate it. I know how bad I'd be feeling if my birds were dying off and I can't figure out why.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom