Quick gender question about red sex-links

Mamma_Duck04

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Crazyville, VA
Got some red sex-links & of all of them, they had some red barring on them, though one was very light. What were to be males didn't have barring at all (I've only dealt with white leghorns as baby-babies & other mix breeds, but sex didn't matter at the time lol).

Now... they're going on 4wks & one's had me slightly concerned for the last week (to be honest, I've lost track & can't even tell if this one is the really light barred baby). When I hand-feed or when they're out playing, this one stands off by itself a lot, hunkers down its head & stands real funny, somewhat like a 'bird' rather than a chicken- but is not sickly in the least. I'm going to watch again this evening, but when moving their box today, it looks like 'the one's' comb is pinking up at the base vs. all the others. The size difference isn't really all that much & unless you're neurotic like me, you probly wouldn't notice!
barnie.gif
Otherwise, they're all in the ugly phase & all look alike.

So... anyone with more experience with red sex-links have any (preferably words of comfort
fl.gif
lol) wisdom for me? I planned to post pictures tonight after they go out to play.

I really appreciate it!

Yes, red sex link roosters are much lighter, almost white in color. When the chick in question feathered out, did it come in white, as opposed to rusty colored?
The roosters do slip by during the sorting process at the hatchery. Sometimes it is just a lighter colored pullet, with lots of white mixed with the rusty/red.

But, it there isn't rusty/red coming in on that one that gives you doubts, take note. Frankly? At 8 weeks, the sex link rooster has much, much thicker and jointed legs. They even have a sort of knock knee walk that gives them away, big time.

As always, a picture would tell the tale.

Thanks Fred,

I'll have pics *very soon*, but did want to reply real quick that all are coming in in some sort of red & cream (like half the feather is cream, other half is red lol). I've got 2 that really have deep red coloring, Boss- a girl for sure, even has some pretty half-black feathers peeking through. Then there are 2 that are more of a buff red, but all are red-cream.

Ok, got the pics!

Here's all the kiddies-
DSC04489.jpg

Here's 2 of the girls (rather, 2 examples of the 'other 5')-
DSC04457.jpg

DSC04449.jpg

Here's the one that's got me curious-
DSC04498.jpg

DSC04478.jpg

Am I just looney & all of them are girls?
fl.gif
(Just for the record, we already know I'm looney!)
Are these really red sex-links, or something else?

Thanks again, so much!!

I wouldn't get alarmed yet. They do appear to be red sexlink pullets, even the one you asked about. Some breeds the pullets do get a tiny comb, but the roosters get much bigger combs just as fast! With sexlinks being hybrids some are going to develop slightly "different" than the others.

lol Thanks for the soothing. I was just explaining to DH why I was in such a tizzy over this... it will open the door to the 'chicken math' conundrum lol & that I just can't deal with right yet! ;-)

All girls, for sure. I had a hatchery slip a male in on me when I got sex-links, and he stayed true to the breed and matured early. Silly thing was crowing by 7 weeks. His comb was clearly bigger and bright red by 4.

Back
Top Bottom