Quick Oats

Caseman

Songster
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Lexington, KY
cooked some oats this am and took and fed to my 22 bantams and boy do they like them hot.Gave each a big spoon ful each..have you ever tried oats as a treat or food for your chickens? I have 7 coops and runs with a trio to each pen except 1 and it has 3 hens..
smile.png

On colder mornings I make my girls oatmeal too, they love it!
something else I do to give them a hot breakfast is I take about 1 1/2 cups of their feed(for 11 birds) and pour hot water over it and mix it up, they can't get enough!

You just inspired me to go downstairs and cook my chickies up a hot batch of quick oats! It's cold, wet and windy out today. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Thanks!

As soon as our temps fall to freezing at night or early am, each day I cook up a large mixing bowl of quick oats, skim milk powder, and water; heat it all in the microwave until it's thick; cool it down (just enough to be very warm but not burny hot) with water to a creamy consistency; stir in whatever leftovers remain from our dinner the night before; and spread it around the chicken yard in several low rimmed containers. Katie, bar the door! Oatmeal flicks and flies as they charge the pans and devour their early morning warm-up treat. Seems to give them a great start for the day and must be good for whatever might be "ailing" them! ~G

My girls like a cut up apple in their oatmeal. I cook the apple with it to soften them up. They seem to really love this. Today, they got warm spag. noodles. What fun!

Back
Top Bottom