Quick Oats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Caseman, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Caseman

Caseman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    cooked some oats this am and took and fed to my 22 bantams and boy do they like them hot.Gave each a big spoon ful each..have you ever tried oats as a treat or food for your chickens? I have 7 coops and runs with a trio to each pen except 1 and it has 3 hens..[​IMG]

2. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    On colder mornings I make my girls oatmeal too, they love it!
    something else I do to give them a hot breakfast is I take about 1 1/2 cups of their feed(for 11 birds) and pour hot water over it and mix it up, they can't get enough!

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    You just inspired me to go downstairs and cook my chickies up a hot batch of quick oats! It's cold, wet and windy out today. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Thanks!

4. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    As soon as our temps fall to freezing at night or early am, each day I cook up a large mixing bowl of quick oats, skim milk powder, and water; heat it all in the microwave until it's thick; cool it down (just enough to be very warm but not burny hot) with water to a creamy consistency; stir in whatever leftovers remain from our dinner the night before; and spread it around the chicken yard in several low rimmed containers. Katie, bar the door! Oatmeal flicks and flies as they charge the pans and devour their early morning warm-up treat. Seems to give them a great start for the day and must be good for whatever might be "ailing" them! ~G

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I love to do this on winter mornings!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I don't cook for my birds, but I do use rolled oats as brooder scratch to encourage the chicks to keep their bedding turned up and fluffy.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Rolled oats are in my feed recipe for my chickens! They LOVE rolled oats.

8. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    We scatter rolled oats straight out of the canister around the run. The chickens love it. But I think with the colder temps I may just try out cooking it for them.

9. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    My girls like a cut up apple in their oatmeal. I cook the apple with it to soften them up. They seem to really love this. Today, they got warm spag. noodles. What fun!

10. Caseman

Caseman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I add pepper to mine that makes them better.. They eat and then its singing time for the little girls..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by