Quick overview of quails

ChckenBoy13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Claremont, NC
Can you give me a quick overview of quails? I need to know what they eat, how large their pen should be, whether I can sell the eggs, etc. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone help identify the sex of this corturnix quail. I just rescued 4 quail from someone who could no longer care for them. I have identified 2 of them, and I'm just not sure with this one. I think it's a male but it does have some spots. Also how can you tell the sex on tuxedo quail? Just by vent sexing durring breeding season?
Thanks
Looks like a male to me.Hens have a pepper looking breast,while the male has redish brown.
In N.H.,Tony.

All quail need to eat gamebird food or something with 24% to 28% protein in it.

Depending on what type of quail you are planning on keeping, each species has it's own requirements for space, how they are kept together and their type of environment.

Yes, you can sell the eggs. Restaurants just love quail eggs. You may be required to be licensed to sell eggs in your area.

Bobwhites are generally hunting birds (sometimes meat i think, they are bigger than Cots?) Coturnix for sure are egg birds as they lay the whole year, if you keep em inside and with 14 hours of light and room temp, they will lay all year. Bobwhites only lay for a bit and stop (clutches?). Coturnix are also for meat as they age fast so in 4 weeks you can cull. Also you need an incubator, because neither of these birds will become broody (very slim chance they will)

You will have to house these two species separate as the Bobs are far to aggressive for the Coturnix.

Coturnix are kept 1 male to 5 to 7 females, and the Bobs are kept 1 male to 1 female. None of these pairs or groups can be kept together during breeding season.

The Coturnix can be kept with 1 square foot per bird, the Bobs will need 4 square feet per bird.

Bobs can be hyper and flush easily. So you will want to add a cut branch from a tree to prop up in the corner to keep them calm and feel secure.

Can Bobwhites be kept with chickens? I have a fairly large run and I would like to keep both types. Currently, I am building a small quail house for the Coturnix so I can have some good eggs from them. If I can keep the Bobwhites with the chickens, do I need to make sure the fencing is small enough where they can't get out?

No, you can not keep Bobs with chickens. Chickens carry diseases that can kill your quail. Not to mention the size difference, the chickens many times will harm the quail because they are so much smaller. You will need to give the quail their own quarters.

Can anyone help identify the sex of this corturnix quail. I just rescued 4 quail from someone who could no longer care for them. I have identified 2 of them, and I'm just not sure with this one. I think it's a male but it does have some spots. Also how can you tell the sex on tuxedo quail? Just by vent sexing durring breeding season?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom