Quick question about food and water for baby chicks!

GabeStalker

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
Just got my very first two chicks today! I got them from a local feed store and they are a week old. Since they were eating and drinking on there own at the store do i need to show them their food and water? I tried showing them their food and sprinkled a few pieces out and they pecked at it and left it alone. I don't really know how to show them their water or will they figure it out on there own?

Thanks in advance!

We put each chick right next to their food and water and gently put their beaks in each one. After showing them the water they usually started drinking it right away.

They will figure it out. Just put the light close to the water and food area..that's whet I do. I don't put it up on anything at first, but once they discover it, if you have wood chips in the brooder, you will want to raise the food and water so they don't kick up the chips into the water. Trust me, once they discover the food and water, they will be climbing all over the food dish. :)

Just went and dipped their beaks into the water a little bit and now they are both eating and drinking! I guess they just needed a little encouragement.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom