Quick question about get comfortable with your flock?

Studabird

Songster
May 8, 2020
Southwest Louisiana
So I have a few birds... 4 Ducks 9 Turkeys and 23 Chickens. I have had birds for seven months now and it feels like the easiest way to kill one if to sit in my chair and watch them walk around the yard and do bird things and say to myself "You know it seems to be going pretty well. I haven't lost a bird is X number of weeks." I did this last night and one of my ducks just up and dies on me today. I love raising birds it is the one hobby that I started and was like Yeah this is me. Does anyone else feel like their flock just waits for them to let their guard down to crush their soul a little?

So I have a few birds... 4 Ducks 9 Turkeys and 23 Chickens. I have had birds for seven months now and it feels like the easiest way to kill one if to sit in my chair and watch them walk around the yard and do bird things and say to myself "You know it seems to be going pretty well. I haven't lost a bird is X number of weeks." I did this last night and one of my ducks just up and dies on me today. I love raising birds it is the one hobby that I started and was like Yeah this is me. Does anyone else feel like their flock just waits for them to let their guard down to crush their soul a little?
I'm not sure...

It seems to be the natural order of things. I had a rooster I plan to keep die on me a few days after I butchered several others. I have a two chicken limit in my residential area, and my 5 month old roosters were getting loud even with rooster collars.

I have two Jersey Giant hens, two Australorp hens, and three Orpington hens left. I was planning on keeping my Jersey Giant line going, but found my Jersey Giant rooster stiff on the floor of the coop one morning. The first think that came to my mind was, "Why did god take him?" I reasoned that he thought it would be better if I crossed a rooster from my Barbeziuex hatching eggs in my incubator with the Jersey Giant hens. I also thought that he may have took out the rooster because my neighbors were getting annoyed. If they complain, I would have to get rid of all except two chickens and the second offense would be up to a $1,000 fine.

Anyway, the point I trying to make is everything that happens happens for the health of the universe. According to William Law, "If we thank and praise good for everything that happens to us, we actually turn it into a blessing. We could do no more for our selves then by this thankful spirit, because it turns all that it touches into happiness."

I believe God created chickens for man to eat. Its created in such a way that the skin turns golden brown and seals in the juices when roasted slowly over hot coals. They also, lay a lot of eggs to eat or to grow out more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom