QUICK QUESTION ABOUT HEN AGE AND EGGS

ByrdFeathers

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Bruce, FL
I have two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, they have been laying about 4 to 5 months. I am guessing they are about a year or so old (I bought them after they had started laying). They are laying a dozen or so eggs a week between the 2 of them. Ok, so here is what is probably a stupid question is there a certain time before the eggs will be fertile. The reason I am asking is someone said they were maybe still laying pullet eggs that wouldn't hatch. I am new and figured I would come to the best source I have.

They are in a coop with a roster the same age is it possible he isn't doing his job yet?

And yes I realize he answer maybe buried in the millions of post on here, I didn't see it in the ones I have found. If you have a link then please share

I have two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, they have been laying about 4 to 5 months. I am guessing they are about a year or so old. They are laying a dozen or so eggs a week between the 2 of them. Ok, so here is what is probably a stupid question is there a certain time before the eggs will be fertile. The reason I am asking is someone said they were maybe still laying pullet eggs that wouldn't hatch. I am new and figured I would come to the best source I have.

They are in a coop with a roster the same age is it possible he isn't doing his job yet?

And yes I realize he answer maybe buried in the millions of post on here, I didn't see it in the ones I have found. If you have a link then please share

Pullet eggs hatch but not as well as large eggs. It is not the age that matters though.

The eggs are usually fertile 3 to 5 days after the rooster mates with the hen. It usually takes a rooster a couple of weeks to woo the hens and get to mating though.

Crack open an egg and look for a bullseye! If you see that then the eggs are fertile and you can incubate them

Pullet eggs hatch but now as well as large eggs. It is not the age that matters though.

The eggs are usually fertile 3 to 5 days after the rooster mates with the hen. It usually takes a rooster a couple of weeks to woo the hens and get to mating though.

Crack open an egg and look for a bullseye! If you see that then the eggs are fertile and you can incubate them

Thanks I will try that. He has been with them since they were chicks. He made to much noise around 3:30 to 4 am every morning for the gentleman I bought them from. His subdivision bylaws had a limit of how many he could have and he was over that limit and worried the noisy fellow would cause him to have to eliminate all of them if there were to many complaints

0EA35DEC-ACB7-48EE-99DD-003D34470352.jpeg 1001F179-E540-4E6C-8298-527081EA63F8.jpeg 222CEA21-1635-4F16-862E-96D8DB136110.jpeg DF3B851B-5B94-45C7-ACAD-D9EA53FD2DEB.jpeg 9681CA6C-15D7-4110-B4D3-D638AF86F1FF.jpeg D7B5A90E-3DB1-456A-88F2-8EE8213D918C.jpeg 5F3ADA69-1AB1-42C1-A230-48A3B0FA0855.jpeg 03FF410E-836E-41FC-B491-F8EE05E26DE2.jpeg

Ok I don’t see a bullseye but I am half blind and not sure what I am looking for. Does anyone see a bullseye? I took several pics from different angles of same egg

Back
Top Bottom