1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quick question about Marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motorman, Dec 11, 2015.

1. motorman

motorman New Egg

Aug 7, 2015
    I know the disease can stay active for month's / years in the environment without a host, but is that also true in areas that have freezing winters and frozen ground?

thanks,

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mareks is shed in the feather dander and spread by inhalation. So cleaning the environment thoroughly is your best bet as well as allowing the area to sit without host, I have read that it can survive up to 65 days under normal temperature. My thoughts would be that a good hard winter kills off many organisms that are dangerous to chickens. I had a few Mareck birds about ten years ago from so various sources, I culled when they became obvious and I haven't seen it since in my other birds, so I'm not sure it's always the panic that it appears, especially in a climate like mine where we get cold winters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by