quick question - out of feed on the holiday weekend

Lorije1

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Self explanatory title - I have run out of chick feed over the holiday weekend. I knew I was getting low and planned to go Saturday morning, but then we had to rush my mom to the ER (and spend 8 hours before she was finally admitted). The very bottom of the feeders have feed, and my big chicks (ranging about 6-9 weeks) have access to the chicken yard. I have some 3week olds that do not have access to the yard because they haven't learned to go inside when it rains, and we are having severe storms off and on. The feed store is closed for Memorial Day (all gave some, some gave all), so I don't have any option on buying feed. I did get some BOSS at the grocery store, but I know that is more of a treat.

Will they be ok with what they have and some BOSS for about 20hrs when the store opens?

They should be fine. They might be hungry but I doubt they'll starve to death in 20 hours if they still have a little bit of feed.
smile.png

Maybe you could come up with some stuff in the fridge that they could eat to tide them over--yogurt, fine bread crumbs, short grass clippings, (also give sand for grit). These are just a few of the things that could tide them over in a pinch.

If you have a Walmart nearby they may carry some livestock feed, even the ones in the city do sometimes. It's not my preferred feed, but it will do in a pinch. Even cat food or dog food will carry the over.

Last edited:
They should be fine with what they have. My "go to" in a pinch is COOKED pasta or rice. Rice is easy for them to peck at and digest.

I have picked clover and grass from my yard when the weather was too bad to turn them loose. I pick a couple of handfuls then cut it up into smaller pieces with scissors. It is hard for them to get a manageable bite of grass or clover if it isn't attached to the ground, so that is why I cut it up some. I keep this up until I have a good pile, then put it in a pan and put it in their covered run. They eatl it all up in just a little while. Leftover salad, veggies, crumbled up cornbread, chopped up boiled eggs...there are a multitude of things you could feed them.

Back
Top Bottom