quick question - out of feed on the holiday weekend

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lorije1, May 31, 2010.

1. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Self explanatory title - I have run out of chick feed over the holiday weekend. I knew I was getting low and planned to go Saturday morning, but then we had to rush my mom to the ER (and spend 8 hours before she was finally admitted). The very bottom of the feeders have feed, and my big chicks (ranging about 6-9 weeks) have access to the chicken yard. I have some 3week olds that do not have access to the yard because they haven't learned to go inside when it rains, and we are having severe storms off and on. The feed store is closed for Memorial Day (all gave some, some gave all), so I don't have any option on buying feed. I did get some BOSS at the grocery store, but I know that is more of a treat.

Will they be ok with what they have and some BOSS for about 20hrs when the store opens?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They should be fine. They might be hungry but I doubt they'll starve to death in 20 hours if they still have a little bit of feed. [​IMG]

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    thanks! (not that I am paranoid or anything [​IMG] )

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They will be fine with pasta and some veggie leftovers or rice. Be sure the younguns got some grits to "chew" their food.

5. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    Maybe you could come up with some stuff in the fridge that they could eat to tide them over--yogurt, fine bread crumbs, short grass clippings, (also give sand for grit). These are just a few of the things that could tide them over in a pinch.

6. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I dont know if this is ok..

But I would feed them some wild bird feed or like parrakeet food..

Along with vegis..

Just for a day..

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Got any eggs? Scramble 'em, and feed 'em to the flock!

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    If you have a Walmart nearby they may carry some livestock feed, even the ones in the city do sometimes. It's not my preferred feed, but it will do in a pinch. Even cat food or dog food will carry the over.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. oreochip

oreochip Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Fort Worth
    They should be fine with what they have. My "go to" in a pinch is COOKED pasta or rice. Rice is easy for them to peck at and digest.

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have picked clover and grass from my yard when the weather was too bad to turn them loose. I pick a couple of handfuls then cut it up into smaller pieces with scissors. It is hard for them to get a manageable bite of grass or clover if it isn't attached to the ground, so that is why I cut it up some. I keep this up until I have a good pile, then put it in a pan and put it in their covered run. They eatl it all up in just a little while. Leftover salad, veggies, crumbled up cornbread, chopped up boiled eggs...there are a multitude of things you could feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by