Quick question please...

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
My broody has 8 eggs that are due starting Friday and into next week. While she was out eating yesterday I noticed one of the eggs had a chip out of it like a pip but the membrane doesn't look pipped, and the egg is cracked(thin line) almost all the way around...Should I remove this one? I checked it today and it is still holding strong and not leaking so I left it. No peeping or anything, just an egg with a chip out.

Thanks, Cindy

I would just leave it. My dad has said that the hens will sometimes pip the shells themselves, but who knows?

How do you plan on dealing with the staggered hatch of her eggs?

I had one do this last week. I watched it for a few days and it eventually started to leak so I had to get rid of it. You would think the hen would have rolled it away but she was steady on with it.

One of the chicks hatched yesterday and she still has 3 more due to hatch tomorrow and Sat. She gets up and eats, drinks and poos and the chick runs after her.
She goes right back to the nest in about 10 minutes and sits right down again. I have not had trouble with my hens sitting right on with chicks all around them several days old, one even went on for a full week.

Quote:
idunno.gif
hoping I get lucky and she hangs in there a few more days.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom