quick question, thinking about geting a couple

slates860

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
how loud are peacocks? are the males louder than the females or vise versa?

do both hens and males have a large feathered display?

thanks for any help

loud at night when they scream you will think a woman is screaming.
only males have the tails that are so beatiful. the hen is just a unnoticeable fowl which is natures way of protecting the young. the hen sort of blends in. I am not 100% sure but I think only the male screams.

Peacocks yell on and on for breeding season but remain mostly quite the rest of the year where they only make loud honking sounds. Now peahens honk, cooo, and sing year around and make more noise then the males do outside of breeding season.

It's LOUD! I don't have any but when I worked at the zoo I heard them often and from far away!! I'd love to have a pair and I could because I don't have close neighbors. . . it's just the housing issue. They need as much space as my flock of chickens. It's a lot to invest in for just 2 birds.

I first got a pair, now I have five. I only have one mature male that calls, but he doesn't call much durring the summer. He calls mainly when he hears a strange noise. The place I got him from had at least 10 male peafowl. The males made the most noise when you drove up to the place because they were making noise about strangers comming. Then they would quite down and even when they all were calling it wasn't too much noise. One thing I can say is when one male would call several other males would chime in so I can see how it might be pretty noisy at times. Both males and females make noise other than the well known "Ahhh ahhh" call the male makes. The noises they normally make are honking, which is a bit loud but short and is usually a call reserved for if the bird is in distress or sees something,ect. Then there are really low squeeking noises they make for if they like the food they are eating, or maybe they are saying something to eachother, ect. They are not really loud in my opinion but it depends on the bird. The peahens don't have trains (the display) but peacocks do have trains which when raised are very high so they need a tall pen for them to comfortably display without messing up their train. Just a pair won't be noisy at all. The male won't really have to call much to get the female to come to him since they will probably always be near eachother since peafowl are social.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom