Quick question

Elaol183

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2018
How often do turkeys lay eggs? I have read from one source that they lay 1 egg a day, while from another that they lay 2 eggs a week. My hens are about a year old and I expect them to start laying this spring.
Could someone give me the right information?

Mine lay a couple times a week at first. After a couple weeks they lay most days until they go broody
But I don't have a tom, so why would they go broody? Why would they incubate when they are not fertilised?

They will not know that the eggs won't hatch. They will try to hatch about anything. Duluthralphie had a hen on his workbench trying to hatch a lightbulb
And how long will it take till they stop being broody and start laying regularly?

And how long will it take till they stop being broody and start laying regularly?
Turkeys are seasonal layers. No matter what, they will not lay eggs all year like chickens do. If you want a steady supply of eggs, raise chickens.

My hens start laying in March. They keep laying because I take their eggs until I have hatched enough to satisfy me. After that, I let them keep their eggs. Each hen has a different amount of eggs it will take to get her to go broody. That number can be as low as one egg if it is late in the year or twenty plus eggs if it it is early although many will go broody on 8 to 12 eggs.

The longer you keep taking their eggs, they longer it is likely to take them to become broody. Once they are broody, they can stay on a nest long enough to be harmful to their health if they are sitting on infertile eggs.

Removing the eggs can help break them from being broody but sometimes destroying the nest site is also required.

If mine do not successfully hatch and raise poults they will continue to start nests and lay into October. One laid her last egg of the year on Nov. 1 last year.

They usually are seasonal layers. They usually like to have 12 or more eggs to sit on before they go broody, but they are individuals.
They will stay broody for months if you don't break them. Worse than a chicken.
They may or may not lay again after being broody

Back
Top Bottom