Quick Run question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Year of the Rooster, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Ok, so we are now deciding what we want our run size to be.... My dad thought of a plan to make our run 96 sq ft instead of 100 sq ft to help save materials. We are keeping 10 of the 17 birds we have. 4 Standards and 6 bantams, and "maybe" a few chicks in the future. Is that 4 sq ft. difference a big deal? I tried to explain it to him but he doesn't want to waste anything. I want the best for my birds but the way he has the setup planned out is perfect. I need some thoughts and opinions here... Thank you [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Ok, I'm not going to make this easy, but here is my advice. Take it from someone who knows. [​IMG] Always build BIGGER than you think you need.

All kiddin aside, I like to give 10 square feet per bird to allow for extra space in case I need it. [​IMG] Ok the 96 sq ft is doable for the 10 birds you plan to keep.

Jody

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Ok, I'm sure that there are others that know much more than me but here goes. My understanding is for outdoor space/run=

Standard-6sqft per bird

Bantam- 4sqft per bird

I think your good.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Just to make sure, it's "Ok" for me to have the 96 sq ft.? Also, I forgot to add that I may let them out of the run when I'm home and they are under my supervision. Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by