Quickly Deteriorating Indian Runner Duck

auce99

Songster
6 Years
Sep 30, 2017
Miami
I swear, things always happen on the weekend… and we recently moved, so I have no vet to reach out to yet, so I’m asking for some advice/help from all of you… please help! I hope I’m just overreacting, but I know how quickly things can turn.

I have a Chocolate/Brown Indian Runner, about 4yrs old. Yesterday morning, perfectly fine - laid an egg, ate her breakfast, played with her mate… about mid morning, she came and laid next to our back door, which she has never done. After about 20 minutes, her mate convinced her to go play in the pool. I decided to give them some peas, which they devoured (especially her). It was only after this that I realized not much of their actual duck food had been touched yet. Shrugged it off as me just not paying attention, and just continued to monitor. They napped in the pool a bit, and I decided it was time to go back in the cage, and went to get them out of the pool, and she was struggling to stand. I immediately brought her inside, for fear of exhaustion or heat issues, and to make sure her mate did it try to mount her and cause other issues.

Initially, in an effort to get her to eat, I gave her a couple of her favorite treats, blueberries. She seems to struggle to swallow them, ‘chewing’ them much longer than usual, and honestly seemed to have a hard time getting them down. Since then, she doesn’t seem at all interested in ANY food! Thankfully, she continued to drink. I made sure she had some electrolytes in her water, as the last thing I wanted was dehydration. I gave her a couple of private bath times, in which she really just floated… no playing, or even swimming, really. But she did seem to be in a better mood after each in, and attempted to preen while laying down (she cannot stand in her own, at all, now).

Fast forward to this morning… she not as interested in drinking, now - just seems to push my attempts at food (peas and mealworms) around in the water, without really taking sips. She looks exhausted, like she hasn’t slept in days. I don’t hear any wheezing, but she seems to have lost her voice, and she has this weird movement she does, like a slowmo bob of her head. But she DID still lay an egg, though a little later than usual…

As far as the poop goes (cause I know I’ll be asked), was completed solid and normal at the beginning of this all, but as to be expected, without much food in her, it’s very watery now, with little color. I could tell her last full ‘meal’ was peas. Anything else I can look for there??

I really am just not sure what to do at this point! I feel like I’m helpless, and want to help he so badly!! But I don’t even know what she might need, at this point, since I’m not even sure what’s wrong.

Any thoughts???

Last edited:
I had runners that seemed really prone to URI. Does she sound raspy at all. Like when you pick her up and put her next to your ear does her breathing sound normal?
If ok there have you opened her beak and looked down her throat? Maybe she has sour croup or something stuck in there?

I'd say she needs to see a vet, she looks like she is struggling to breathe. Once they stop eating and drinking they lose ground fast unless intervention starts. Like tubing liquids and then feed after they are hydrated.

I had runners that seemed really prone to URI. Does she sound raspy at all. Like when you pick her up and put her next to your ear does her breathing sound normal?
If ok there have you opened her beak and looked down her throat? Maybe she has sour croup or something stuck in there?
That thought had not even crossed my mind. I will see if she’ll let me look in her mouth.

I'd say she needs to see a vet, she looks like she is struggling to breathe. Once they stop eating and drinking they lose ground fast unless intervention starts. Like tubing liquids and then feed after they are hydrated.
We have to find one, still - we have the name of one in hand and will try to call in the morning. Since we are not established with them yet, we weren’t sure if they would take a Sunday call. There’s very few aviary vets in our area, and the name we got was from another wet that basucally told us they do not know enough to see her/diagnose her. So TBH, we’re still not sure about the name we got!

That thought had not even crossed my mind. I will see if she’ll let me look in her mouth
The ones that had URI’s… what kind of symptoms did they have? Did you treat it? Did it run its course? Did they pass? Do you know what causes it?

I do not! But it looks like something I need in my arsenal… and thanks for the link. I went down the rabbit hole of other links and read up some more… the more you know!!

I did give her a bath with some VetRx in it… but not sure if that will actually do anything.

I did notice that her mate is a stresser to her, now - likely because of how drakes are this time of year, still. But when she thought he might get to her (he couldn’t), she started squirming and *trying* to quack, which came out more like a gargle. So I think it kind of confirmed a possible URI.

Hoping to get to an avian vet tomorrow… the emergency number listed just went to a 24hr clinic and basically told us they do now know birds/ducks well enough to diagnose. 😕

Back
Top Bottom