Quiet as a Church mouse

kjpanda

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
I was just outside and after checking the nest boxes and finding nothing, I began to clean the coop. Ellie, one of my white Plymouth Rocks, joined me inside. She walked right over top of my hand, hopped up into one of the nest boxes and began digging around. After a minute of shuffling the shavings around, she laid down. I continued to clean, but respected her privacy and made sure I didn't move too quickly or make much noise. After about 3 or 4 minutes, she calmly hopped back out of the nest box, walked down the ramp, got a drink and then took a dirt bath in their "dirt pile". I didn't think much of it, after all, she didn't make a sound. I opened the nest box to freshen the shavings and lo and behold, there was an egg.

Egg song? We don't need no stinking egg song!
lol.png

Since last Sunday afternoon when we got our first egg, we have been blessed with 10 more, for a total of eleven. The most we have had in one day is three, so that tells me at least 3 of my 6 girls are laying. Bacon, eggs and fried potatoes with onions for breakfast tomorrow morning for the family!
celebrate.gif

LOL You are lucky!! Mine raise such a ruckus - they want everyone in the county to know they are laying the egg, and also that they are finished laying it
lau.gif
Good thing we live on 10 acres and have no neighbors
bow.gif

My RIR raises a racket before she lays, gets real quite while laying and noisy after.....my Australorps don't make a sound before, during or after. i also have a Cochin/Easter Egger who does not make a sound.

Mine don't make any noise when their laying either. It's the ones hanging around that we call the Laying Coaches" that make all the racket!!

One of my orps makes a racket after she lays, the rest don't make a sound. I guess it's an individual thing.

Back
Top Bottom