Quiet breed of chicks?

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York
I have my 3 buff orp/brahma crosses in their own bin. They are in our basement, and there are 2 other bins on each side of them. Mine never peep unless i pick them up to quick, or like when i tried to look closer at wing feathers. They're a week old. They're neighbors i swear never shut up, lol! Are my 3 just quiet cuz i'm constantly down there talking or holding them? I have 1 girl i've been really spoiling
1f60a.png
Or are their bantams and maran neighbors just naturally louder? My chicks are all healthy, growing and active! No puffiness or weird behaviors.

Chicks are fairly quiet as long as they are comfortable, so I would see why the other bins and chicks aren't, I would compare temperature and look at the room to move around.

Chicks are fairly quiet as long as they are comfortable, so I would see why the other bins and chicks aren't, I would compare temperature and look at the room to move around.

One bin is chicks all hatched the same day,marans. The other bin has seramas and 2 older mixed breed chicks. The serama bin dont have a heat lamp,the hick bins do,all the same temps.they are all healthy,maybe just 3 in my bin makes them quieter?

Some breeds can be quieter than others (in general). Chicks will peep especially if they're lonely or frightened, but can remain fairly quiet unless they hear you coming or you're trying to sleep.

Some breeds can be quieter than others (in general). Chicks will peep especially if they're lonely or frightened, but can remain fairly quiet unless they hear you coming or you're trying to sleep. 
There might be something to this, your chicks, the OP's, probably get quiet when they hear you coming because you are going to reach in and grab them, so they are quiet like you are a predator.

Do you handle the other chicks too, it's not a bad thing it's just an instinct to be quiet when something approaches, mine do it all the time when chicks.

Than the others don't need to be quiet when you approach, only yours, as they get bigger they will come running to see you.

Back
Top Bottom