Quiet Chickens ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wilded, Apr 3, 2008.

1. wilded

wilded Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Texas
    I want to keep a few bantam hens in a backyard where I am not supposed to have them. What breeds would be quiet in a caged habitat? Thanks, ET

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Silkies are probably a good breed for you, just don't get roosters. And if any of your neighbors see them and ask what they are, just tell them it is a rare Chinese bird.
    (I don't think most people would recognize it as a chicken.)

3. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Or the serama is also said to be a very quiet and are very small as well

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I am actually surprised at how quiet my ISA browns are. I expected a lot more noise. The only time they even get loud is just for a minute or so after they lay an egg. Even when I bring them a treat, the sounds they make are very subdued.

Now my neighbor has a rooster, that you can hear crowing from a block away. Another has a goose that you can hear from quite a ways as well. The noisiest critter in the area is a donkey. A couple times a day you can hear it braying. That sound probably travels a half mile or more:)

I love the sound of all of them. Not everyone dislikes natural sounds. Sure beats those "boom boom" cars that you hear from six blocks away.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I second the silkie idea - they are really cute, don't look like chickens, are small and my hens are pretty quiet.

Don't get a rooster and tell anyone who asks that they are rare asian ground parrots.

2-3 hens would hardly be noticed

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam cochin's were quite, I had a cockerel you could barely hear when you were inside.....and I agree that the silkies & bantam cochin could easily be described as an exotic ground parrot.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by