Quiet Chickens ???

wilded

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Texas
I want to keep a few bantam hens in a backyard where I am not supposed to have them. What breeds would be quiet in a caged habitat? Thanks, ET

Silkies are probably a good breed for you, just don't get roosters. And if any of your neighbors see them and ask what they are, just tell them it is a rare Chinese bird.
(I don't think most people would recognize it as a chicken.)

I am actually surprised at how quiet my ISA browns are. I expected a lot more noise. The only time they even get loud is just for a minute or so after they lay an egg. Even when I bring them a treat, the sounds they make are very subdued.

Now my neighbor has a rooster, that you can hear crowing from a block away. Another has a goose that you can hear from quite a ways as well. The noisiest critter in the area is a donkey. A couple times a day you can hear it braying. That sound probably travels a half mile or more:)

I love the sound of all of them. Not everyone dislikes natural sounds. Sure beats those "boom boom" cars that you hear from six blocks away.

I second the silkie idea - they are really cute, don't look like chickens, are small and my hens are pretty quiet.

Don't get a rooster and tell anyone who asks that they are rare asian ground parrots.

2-3 hens would hardly be noticed

My bantam cochin's were quite, I had a cockerel you could barely hear when you were inside.....and I agree that the silkies & bantam cochin could easily be described as an exotic ground parrot.....

Back
Top Bottom