Quiet Ducks ????

LaineyMehrer

Chirping
May 17, 2018
Hey guys! I’m back. My mom has grown attached to the ducks we have, even though we have to get rid of them due to the neighbors saying they’re too loud and noisy. She loves the ducks and she wants more after we give them the ones we have to correct homes. What duck breeds are the quietest and the friendliest? I’ve read that Cayugas are friendly but they can get noisy, and that Muscovies are quiet.

Hey guys! I’m back. My mom has grown attached to the ducks we have, even though we have to get rid of them due to the neighbors saying they’re too loud and noisy. She loves the ducks and she wants more after we give them the ones we have to correct homes. What duck breeds are the quietest and the friendliest? I’ve read that Cayugas are friendly but they can get noisy, and that Muscovies are quiet.
Muscovies and call ducks!

Call ducks are loud. They were originally created for their loud call sound.

But, I do agree that muscovies are the quietest breed of ducks that you will find. There is some noise, but not as much as all other regular domesticated ducks. I can't hear my muscovies until I am right up near their run.

Drakes (male) are definitely the quietest. Any breed of drake is going to be much quieter than their female counterpart.
Except muscovies. The hissing quack of the drake is much louder than the females as they don't do much but peep and trill and only if they get worked up. But, for the most part my girls are super quiet and my drake likes to talk.
Well, that has been my experience.

Last edited:
I would say get a male duck. Any kind will do good, but Muscovy males are loud!
They aren't loud. Just louder than the females most of the time due to always quacking when I am around - something that my girls do not do. My drake is always quacking. It's just a whisper type of quack. You would have to watch some videos to understand if you don't have muscovies. My girls mostly just look at me and come to see what I am doing. They trill for treats (which is very quiet compared to a quack).
My drake is still much more quieter than a mallard derived breed.
My girls trill which is a very quiet type of duck "purr". And, they peep when worked up. I got a new rooster and they were all peeping when he was doing rooster business. The peeping is louder than the whisper quack, but you wouldn't hear it unless you are really close.
My girls will also honk if their tail is pulled and they don't like it.
I think the OP should pull up videos of as many ducks as she can.
I am thinking the quietest is still going to be the Muscovy though. As that was my conclusion when I researched the breeds that I was interested in.

They aren't loud. Just louder than the females most of the time due to always quacking when I am around - something that my girls do not do. My drake is always quacking. It's just a whisper type of quack. You would have to watch some videos to understand if you don't have muscovies. My girls mostly just look at me and come to see what I am doing. They trill for treats (which is very quiet compared to a quack).
My drake is still much more quieter than a mallard derived breed.
My girls trill which is a very quiet type of duck "purr". And, they peep when worked up. I got a new rooster and they were all peeping when he was doing rooster business. The peeping is louder than the whisper quack, but you wouldn't hear it unless you are really close.
My girls will also honk if their tail is pulled and they don't like it.
I think the OP should pull up videos of as many ducks as she can.
I am thinking the quietest is still going to be the Muscovy though. As that was my conclusion when I researched the breeds that I was interested in.
When I said loud I meant to say.....well I don't know what word to use, but I think someone else said something up at the top about it so....

When I said loud I meant to say.....well I don't know what word to use, but I think someone else said something up at the top about it so....
I'm pretty sure that was me. :) Relatively speaking in the world of muscovy ducks - the quacking hiss is loud. In the world of all domesticated ducks - the quacking hiss is like a whisper. Like when you have laringitis and try to speak.
Hope that helps.
I only give advice on what I know and my experiences.

Back
Top Bottom