Quiet Rooster project

Quote:

Wow Illia, I sure can't say either of those things here!
big_smile.png
At present, I have 5 roos (Marans) outside at varying ages, and they all crow, ALL DAY LONG! I've timed them in between crows to see how long the quiet would last, 11 minutes was the best time!
gig.gif
They crow in the coop, they crow in the run, they crow while free rangeing, and they crow at night! One of my big boys, Clyde, puts his all and all into every crow he puts out. I swear, one day he's going to crow up a lung! He is by far the loudest roo I've ever had, of any breed. I've got one more roo in the brooder pen, and some more eggs due to hatch this month. So, maybe it's just I need more roos??
lau.gif
th.gif
I have a friend that has Buff Orps, and until recently, I never knew she had a roo; I never heard him crow before.
hu.gif

Someone needs to setup an audio site so we can hear some of these crows. It shouldnt take too long to breed a
quiet crower, (oxymoron) if we work together. We just need people to start posting/selling eggs from quiet flocks.
It's true environmental factors are a factor in frequency of crowing but I think genetics are responsible for the volume and tone.
There are some pretty pathetic crowers out there and others with stentorian bugles that could easily wake an entire
city block. Also what's with the predawn crowers? Is there any relationship between crowing and fertility to consider?

I have a RIR roo who is very weird in the chicken world sense...he didnt start crowing til almost 6 months old, he almost never crows...even in the mornings, he has a delayed reponse (not complaining) and doesnt start til 6:30 or 7am!

Well I for one am hanging on your every word. If there is a quiet or nearly non-crower out there I want him. I live in the city and would like to keep things as natural as I can - I think it is healthy for the hens to have a roo with them. Just more socially normal if that makes sense. And the ability to have chicks would seal the deal. My husband keeps asking if there isn't some surgery they can do the remove the roosters "crower" rather like debarking a dog.

So far we have brahmas,yokohama, bantam cochin and shamos as being quiet
Marans and orps are at both extremes.
Delawares are loud.

Please rooster owners post and rate your rooster breed or cross, and how loud he
is and frequency of crowing and whether they are high or low pitched and anything
else you can think of. Or maybe start a new thread so we can get some statistics to
work with.

Last edited:
You should hear my new Serama roo crow...

It sounds like someone with smoker's cough!! Ackhh Ackhh,

It sounds birdish, but nothing like a crow. I got him over the weekend, and he was really quiet for the first two days. This morning, when he heard my OEGB's wake up the world, he had to do his thing too. It was hilarious!

Edit: And YES!! Orpingtons are LOUD!! My hens and chicks are constantly complaining loudly. They are friendly and docile, but they are very loud! Friendly and docile do not equate quietness.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the posters that have said that it is more of an individual thing than a breed thing. My main rooster is a four year old BWA. He does crow in the morning but only when he is inside the coop so it is extremely muffled. One of his sons is just learning to crow and he does crow during the day but only if he hears the neighbor's rooster crowing. That sound is pretty pitiful
wink.png
It sounds like Robin Williams playing Mrs. Doubtfire when he says Hellooooooo with all the icing on his face. Just the OOOOOOOO sound of it. Cracks me up every time!

Back
Top Bottom