quill but no feather

myarodafarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
My rooster has lost all of the feathers but not the quill on his tail feathers and back. All he has back there is quills but no feather. I treat the coop with orange guard and domo. earth everytime I clean. I don't know what the deal is.

My rooster has lost all of the feathers but not the quill on his tail feathers and back. All he has back there is quills but no feather. I treat the coop with orange guard and domo. earth everytime I clean. I don't know what the deal is.
Could you post a photo so we can see what the problem looks like?

Here is a pic of my rooster that has lost his feathers on his quill. Quill still there but feather gone. He is 3 1/2 years old, I cannot do anymore then I am doing for mites etc.

It looks like he's growing feathers in feathers, but the feathers have failed to erupt from their sheathes. This is creating the quill-like appearance, but what you are actually seeing is the sheath that growing feathers are encased in. Sometimes, birds just are unable to get the sheathes off of their feathers. I know that some of my chickens can have trouble with their neck feathers, as they can't reach those feathers to pull off the sheathes. My males in particular sometimes have this problem. I've never seen a case as severe as yours, though.

Use your fingers, and grip the feathers near the base. Then, slide your fingers up each encased feather. This should remove the sheathes, and the feathers should start filling out normally. One of my friends has a rooster that always has feather sheath problems when he grows in his feathers. My friend solves this problem by putting his rooster in with hens. The hens strip away all of the sheathes.

Hope I've helped!

Thank you. I was afraid he had some kind of mite as I really try to do everything I can for them not to have them. He has been a little 'disabled' lately. He started slumping over about 10 months ago....in other words he does not stand up straight anymore. I think he may have hurt his back jumping from the top roost as he is large and heavy and cannot get on the top roost anymore and has trouble getting on the short one. But I did put a ladder up for him. He does not act sick but just has poor posture. Maybe this is why he is not pecking at his feathers. He cannot get to them. He just has a mobility problem. Something to think about.

I'm seeing this on one of my BO'S back, right between where her wings meet. She's the only one so I don't think it's mites or anything. Any ideas?

Can anyone respond to the previous question? I have a hen who has quills but no feathers just like the previous one pictured. I don't have a clue what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom